Chapter Four -Empty Child

Ayano lay in bed, thinking about her senpai. She had learned that his name was Taro Yamada and he was in class 3-2. All that she could think about was his words, his hair, his eyes, his everything... but that was it.

Ayano had never felt like this before towards a boy... or anything... Ayano's kind never did. She was a blank slate. A doll that breathed. An empty child. But this... her senpai made her feel a burning love that was a shining beacon in her dark, empty soul.

Ayano knew only vaguely about the human concept of right and wrong. But it didn't matter, a tiny pinprick in the sea of rage... the terrible, burning rage... it had boiled over and Ayano had brutally murdered someone...

But the pleasure she had gained from sliding the knife into her body... draining life from that bitch... was too much... she just wanted more...

Ayano may not have been human, may not 'feel', but her soul was a lot less 'empty' than before...

She never felt it... the crack in her soul... the change in the world... as she rolled over and closed her eyes...

Ayano went into school the next day arriving on time to join in the gossip circles in the courtyard.

The girls were just chatting about random rubbish, until Koharu Hinata leaned in and said "Did you see what was in the shower room yesterday?" The other girls turned their attention to Koharu, who continued "Me and Mei went in there after we had to do extra laps in gym class, and we saw a footprint!"

The girl with blue hair and eyes called Mei Mio nodded. "But not just that!" She piped up. "It was bloody." The other girls stared at Mei and Koharu who continued.

"We went in right, and near the big tub, there was this one bloody footprint." "Mei and I searched around for more, but we couldn't find any!"

This was followed by half joking half concerned theories about the footprint. "Do you think there's a serial killer on the loose?" Said a girl with shoulder length light brown curls, her eyes wide with concern.

A girl that Ayano knew as Yui Rio laughed "Oh come on Amai-chan, it was probably just red paint that someone spilled and wanted to wash off!"

"Aww cheer up Amai-chan!" the other girls said. "At least it will give us something to talk about in the cooking club tonight!" The bell chimed and the students dispersed.

Ayano kept a low profile for the rest of the week, stalking, no, protecting senpai, trying hard in class and keeping a good reputation.

The story of the bloody footprint didn't really spread, but one or two students were afraid that the disappearance of a girl was connected to the footprint.

Ayano knew that she would have to be more careful. The idea of senpai walking to and from school alone was pleasingly distracting enough to make her forget to double check everything.

She spent Friday night looking through her pictures of senpai and deciding how to display the toothbrush she had stolen from him.

It was a great night, and Ayano spent the weekend happily and comfortably.