Chapter 7

The work day seemed to drag on slower than ever. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. Maybe it was because I was more than anxious to get out of here.

Ace left over an hour ago through the back entrance with my duffle bag slung lazily over his right shoulder. I tried to read his expression as he passed me, but he kept his head down and stalked out of the building without so much as a glance at anyone.

Dammit.

Knots began to form in the pit of my stomach as we neared closing time. Seeing as there was nothing more for me to do I figured I could go ahead and pack up and head home for the night. Plus, I had class in the morning.

Grabbing my things, out of my narrow locker, I felt a slight tap on my shoulder.

"No Porsha, I'm too tired to braid your hair. My fingers are starting to cramp up anyways." I stated matter-of-factly without even turning around. She had been bothering me all day long.

She smacked her lips. "I know, I know. But, Miss Belle wanted me to tell you to stop by her office before you leave."

"O-okay." I said barely above a whisper.

"What'd you do? She sounded pretty serious." She questioned.

Instead of answering her, I decided to respond with a confused look and shrugged my shoulders. This seemed to get her off of my back for the time being and she turned to walk out of the break room.

"Oh, but can you braid my hair in the morning though?" Of course she wasn't giving up that easily.

"Sorry hun, but I have class in the morning."

"Oh, damn. I forgot you were like 12 years old." She joked before prancing out.

I made sure to grab everything out of the locker before closing it and heading towards the back. On the way my feet got more and more heavy with every step I took.

I approached the door and lightly knocked.

"Come in!" Miss Belle yelled through the thick door.

Stepping in I instantly felt the cool air hit my face. The constantly being around blow dryers and flat irons tended to make the rest of the place a lot warmer.

Miss Belle was sitting at her desk writing in a notepad with a pair of reading glasses perched at the brim of her nose. Without looking up, she motioned for me to sit down. She remained focused on what she was doing for a few more minutes before finally closing the pad and giving me her full attention.

She took a deep breath before speaking.

"Devyn..."

"Look, I'm sorry. I honestly thought I was doing him a favor by grabbing it from the car. And he was talking about getting the dogs, I just... I don't know, I'm just sorry. If I-"

"Devyn!" She cut me off. "Stop talking, please."

I tended to ramble when I got nervous. And considering my job, and quite possibly my life was on the line, I was just that.

"I want you to listen to me. What you did was really bold and quite frankly took a lot of balls. You pretty much our operation from possibly being crippled. Had Aiden got locked up, we would've been screwed."

I remained quiet with my, now sweaty, hands in my lap.

"I'm not going to go into too many details, but you are officially a part of the family now. Anything you need just give me a call and it's yours, okay?" She ripped a piece of paper and scribbled her number on it handing it to me.