Chapter 10

Weeks passed by uneventfully. I was starting go get into a routine of going to school, work and back home. Every now and then, Aiden would come over to keep me company or we'd just go somewhere to get out. He was really good company, but I'd never tell him that.

Waking up on this gloomy Monday morning, I realized I literally had nothing to do. My phone would usually wake me up with its blaring alarm and I would head to school, but I was officially done with classes.

The booming thunder and pouring rain didn't seem to help motivate me to move any faster. Ultimately, I decided to just lay in bed for about a half an hour longer before getting up and starting my day.

That half an hour came and went in what felt like a blink of an eye.

Lifting myself off of the bed, I dragged to the bathroom. I stripped out of my clothes and got into the hot, awaiting shower. The water cascaded from the top of my head all the way down to my toes. I made sure to thoroughly scrub every inch of my body, making especially sure to wash my hair.

After about forty-five minutes, the water turned cold and I took it as my cue to get out. I shut the water off, dried my body, and wrapped a towel around my hair. Once I was completely dried off, I put on lotion and brushed my teeth before going to decide on what to wear.

Not wanting to get too dressed up, I decided on a black pair of leggings, a white tank top and a burgundy windbreaker and laid them on top of the bed.

Noticing my hair was still in the towel, I took it down and quickly braided it into two long French braids.

Checking my phone for the time I realized I had at least 20 minutes before the next bus would come and take me to the mall. I needed a black dress for graduation because I had absolutely nothing to wear, and the ceremony was rapidly approaching.

I threw my clothes on along with my black and white converse. I made a mental note that I needed more shoes, I definitely wear those too much.

Grabbing my wristlet and my keys, I walked out of the door, making sure to lock it behind me, and headed towards the bus stop.

. . .

I had been in the mall for over an hour and the only thing I found was a cute pair of earrings. Banana Republic was next on my list of places to look for something.

"Devyn?" I looked to my left and my eyes landed on Miss Belle. "Hey baby! How are you?" She said pulling me into a bone crushing hug.

"Hey Miss Belle."

"You look so cute! I forgot to tell you that Aiden gave me your invitation. You know I just had to come get me a new outfit. I'm so proud of you sweetie!" She beamed wrapping me into another bear hug.

"Thank you so much. I guess we're here for the same reason then."

"Excuse me Miss Belle, but we have about an hour before the meeting." A man in all black interrupted.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that there were at least three more men just like him standing around the store and at the door.

"Okay, thank you, Earl." She turned her attention back to me. "I'll see you soon, baby. You need a couple of dollars?" She said reaching into her oversized Louis Vuitton purse.