15

Connor, Nicholas, and Alex walked out of the restaurant they had dinner at. The boys had paid for it, being that it was Alex's birthday. She smiled and grabbed each of their hands.

"Thank you, for dinner," She said. "You know you didn't have to pay for that."

"Yes, we did," The boys chirped in unison.

"At least Tasia isn't here, she would've ordered the most expensive thing on the menu," Alex muttered. Nicholas shifted uncomfortably as they walked down the street.

"She's mad at me," He said.

"For what? Being gay?" Connor laughed.

"She'll get over it," Alex said, "Plus, if it helps, you weren't the only one she was crushing on."

They crossed the busy street quickly and walked up to the carnival. There were red and yellow lights flashing everywhere and it smelled like fried dough. They heard kids screaming in the distance because of the fast rides.

"Shit, look!" Alex squealed, "That guy's doing piercings! Do you think it's legit?"

"I don't know," Nicholas said, "But that's a good way to get an infection."

"I'm going to get one," She said. "You only live once, right?" Connor mumbled a yeah and she smirked at the two. "Get one with me? Pwease? Come on, it's our last night here."

"I'll get one if Nick does," Connor said.

The two looked at the dark haired boy and Nicholas stared back at them. "Oh no. I don't—" Alex pouted and whimpered for a good three minutes. "Fine. I'll get one, but you're paying!" He tapped Alex on the nose and she giggled.

"Deal!"

The doorbell rang and Mrs. Holland smiled. She put her knife down and wiped her hands on her apron. She quickly walked to the front door.

"Hi Shelly! Hi Mitchell! Come in," Mrs. Holland said and held the door open for the Melfis'. The two walked into the house and Shelly handed Kirsten a bottle of wine. Mitchell kissed her on the cheek.

Mr. Holland walked into the kitchen just as the others walked in as well. He and Mitchell shook hands as the ladies helped bring the dinner to the table.

Everyone sat down and Shelly poured the wine into the glasses. The men dug into the food and put some onto their plates.

"We haven't seen you guys in forever," Justin said. "What's been up since the last time we've talked?"

"We recently got back from our trip to Florida," Mrs. Melfie said.

"And today's Alex's birthday," Mr. Melfie added.

Kirsten smiled. "I just got off the phone with Nicholas. He said they're having a great time in Los Angeles," She told them all while taking a sip of the wine.

"I hope they're all staying safe over there," Mitchell said and they all agreed. "But speaking about Nicholas, how has he been?"

Mr. Holland cut into his chicken. "He's been good," He replied, "Alex has been helping him study so I suspect that she's the reason why his grades are higher than normal. She's a smart girl."

"Studying?" Mr. Melfie laughed. "They're always talking about the boys they like. If that's studyin—" Shelly looked at him with wide eyes. Only then did Mitchell realize what he had just said.