Chapter 1 - Why?

"HUMAN!" San's younger brother shouted. Frisk rose her eyebrows in surprise, as she was staring out the window. She turned to see Sans and Papyrus standing not too far in front of her. Papyrus stood with a plate of spaghetti in his hand. "I HAVE PREPARED YOU SOME SPAGHETTI! I AM SURE YOU WILL LIKE IT AS IT WAS PREPARED BY I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS! MY BROTHER HERE WAS TOO LAZY TO HELP ME PREPARE IT. SO IT WAS ONLY MADE BY ME!" 

Frisk chuckled a little, taking the plate into her hands. Picking up the fork and picking up some spaghetti, she scooped it into her mouth. Her eyes lit up in delight as she chewed it and swallowed. "This is nice!" She complimented, giving him a slight nod.

"REALLY? WOWIE! I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKE IT!" Papyrus replied happily. "WELL, I NEED TO GO TAKE CARE OF SOME BUSINESS ELSEWHERE. MY BROTHER SANS HERE WILL BE ABLE TO KEEP YOU COMPANY!" 

"Haha, okay." Frisk nodded, as Papyrus left the room. She looked back towards the window and stared at the snowy ground outside. It was nice to be back on the surface. Things were still a little troublesome between the monsters and humans since they had come back up to the surface, but Frisk felt things were starting to get a little better. 

"hey kid." Sans said, standing in his usual stance. Frisk rose her eyebrows and turned back to face him. "you seem pretty out of it. are you alright?" 

Frisk managed a small smile and nodded. "Y-Yeah. I was just... Thinking about how great it is to be on the surface. Don't you agree?"

Sans stood staring back at her for a moment, but then nodded. "yeah, it is great.... actually, i was wondering if you wanted to come with me to grillby's? i'm headin' there now." 

"Oh!" Frisk smiled and quickly ate the last bit of spaghetti on her plate and then put it to the side. Standing up, she nodded. "Sure!"

"cool. i know it's only 'round the corner but... we can take a shortcut." He said, holding out his hand for Frisk to take it. She grinned, taking his hand in hers. When she did, a small fart sound was heard, and the two of them burst into small chuckles of laughter. "can't forget the whoopie cushion in the hand trick... heh... alright, let's go kid." 

****

Merely a second later, the two of them appeared in a flash of blue light, just outside Grillby's. The outside pretty much looked the same way it did in the underground. Luckily, with the help of some monsters (and humans!) they were able to rebuild the place on the surface. Sans seemed very pleased by that indeed. 

With grins on their faces, they both went through the front door, to find Grillby inside, standing behind the counter cleaning glass cups.

"hey grillby! how are you enjoying life on the surface?" Sans wondered, sitting on one of the stools. Frisk sat just beside him. She stared around with a look of confusion on her face. The place seemed pretty empty today.

"It's been okay." Grillby replied. "We've even been getting human customers in here and they seem to really like the place. It's a shame some people still seem to have a hard time accepting this whole 'monsters being on the surface' thing."