Chapter 6 - Hallucinations?

Appearing back at home, Sans let out a small sigh. The house felt quiet and a little eerie to him. After that conversation he had about it with Frisk, he felt more on edge now. Frisk was aware that there was a chance Chara could be present. Now that Frisk knew, Chara might choose to try and move in on her.

"bro! bro, are you home?" Sans called out. He furrowed his brow when he got no reply from Papyrus. Where would he be at this time of the day? It's not like he went to the school or anything. He and Frisk would have saw him on the way to school, he would have walked with them, or at least he would have seen him walking towards the school on his way back.

"bro? are you here?" Sans repeated, putting one foot in front of the other and walking through the small house. He came to the door of Papyrus' bedroom and stopped. He knocked on the door. "paps? you in there? ....i'm gonna open the door..." Waiting for a reply, and getting nothing, Sans sighed and decided to grip the door handle. Slowly pushing it open, and seeing Papyrus' bedroom come into view, his heart skipped a beat – and not in a good way.

On the rug of his younger brother's bedroom floor, lay Papyrus' scarf, which Sans had made for him when they were just small kids. He learnt how to make things like that at such a young age, when it was just the two of them.

Slowly, he stepped over and stared down at the red ragged scarf. Kneeling down and taking it into his grasp, Sans started to shake his head, as images from the past timelines reappeared in his mind. "no... no... no, no, no, no, no, NO! NO!" Sans roared as loud as he possibly could. What had happened?! Sans' blue gaster eye glowed brighter than ever, as tears spilled down his face, which was filled with utter disgust. "papyrus.... papyrus..." Sans muttered.

"SANS?" He heard his younger brother behind him, and quickly bolted his head around. Standing and looking utterly bewildered, was his brother Papyrus. His neck was bare, where his scarf was supposed to be. He tilted his head to the side slightly.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THE FLOOR, YOU LAZYBONES! NO, WHY ARE YOU EVEN IN MY ROOM, AS A MATTER OF FACT! SANS YOU-- S-Sans... Are you crying?" Papyrus stopped raging and looked worried. Quickly, he raced over and gave his brother a hug who was sitting there weeping on the floor.

"Sans, what's wrong?" Papyrus asked, his voice shaking. Sans sat shuddering, with the scarf still in his hands.

"i-i thought you-- i thought... i... you..." He muttered, not able to get a sentence out. Papyrus pulled back from the hug and stared at his brother in concern.

"Brother, I think you should get some rest or something..." Papyrus mumbled, his usual confident voice shaken by his older brother's sorrow. Sans slowly shook his head.

"i-i'm fine... i'm fine... you're okay... geez... i thought for a minute..."

"Sans, what are you talking about? You're speaking nothing but nonsense."

"don't you mean i'm talking no-sense." Sans tried. Papyrus sighed, but gave his brother a small smile.