Chapter 28

Amelia's POV

"How are you enjoying your meal?" Carter asks.

"It's okay," I answer as I take another bite of my pasta. "So we're moving in together?"

"Yeah," he says. "Our wedding is in two days." I let out a sigh and take another bite. We hear the door open. We look to see Ophelia walk in.

"How are you two doing?" she asks with a wide smile.

"We're doing okay," Carter replies. I nod in agreement.

"Well your room is ready," she tells us. We both nod. She walks out of the room, leaving us alone. We soon finish eating. I follow him to his room. He opens the door to reveal a bed covered in rose petals.

"She must have done this," he murmurs. He closes the door. I look into the closet to see a new set of lingerie.

"Looks like this is all I have to wear," I comment showing him.

"You can take one of my shirts," he tells me. He opens his wardrobe and hands me a shirt. I turn around and take off the dress. I slip on the shirt as we both get into bed. He gets in next to me and wraps his arms around me. I lay my head on his chest. "You know, I really am sorry for how I've treated you."

"You know, all of my friends hate you," I mention. "If we get out of this-"

"When we get out of this," he interrupts.

"When we get out of this," I say correcting myself, "they're going to want to kick your ass."

"I know," he sighs, "and I deserve it."

"But you're helping me out," I remind him. "You don't deserve it. You're making up for it now." I kiss his cheek.

"You know I'll do anything for you," he tells me. "I love you."

"Carter," I sigh.

"I mean I love you like my sister sort of way," he states.

"I was going to say I love you too," I state. He smiles and brings me closer to him.

"Sleep tight beautiful," he whispers. I nod as I let the darkness consume me.

***

"Wake up," someone whispers. My eyes flutter open to see Carter.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"We're leaving, tonight," he tells me as he gets up. I watch as he puts a chair against the door. He then throws a backpack to me. As soon as he does so, the power turns off. "We have seven minutes." He leads me into his closet. He moves his clothes to show a secret tunnel. I get in and wait for him to cover the tunnel before leading the way out.

"Want to explain what the hell is going on?" I question.

"I promised you that I would get you out," he says. "Now we have to hurry." I nod as I pick up the pace.

***

Peyton's POV

"I'll wait in the car," Lindsay says. The three of us nod as we make our way to the path. We follow it and lay low while we wait for them to get out.

"Keep an eye out, you never know what could happen," Michael reminds us. Ray and I nod as we look back. I put my hand on the gun Carter gave me earlier that day. I really hope this works. Soon enough, I see two figures running. I look to see them running to the gate. I get up and make my way there. Michael and Ray follow me.