Chapter 12: Bittersweet Grin

Thank you for 200+ readers! O(≧∇≦)O

- Dana

-=-

Morning came as I sat up and stretched. I assumed it was somewhere near where the sun was at its peak.

The chirping birds accompanied the peaceful air as I felt the soft grass sweep upon my bare feet. The area around me was fully animated.

With a smile I proceeded to explore the perimeter. Then, at an open grassland, I sat on my knees and planned to pick out some flowers, just to lighten the atmosphere between Arthur and Alfred, seeing what happened last night. And of course, I made sure it wasn't poisonous - it's already noted that we're /not/ supposed to have poison touching our skin.

With each stem curled and intertwined with the next stem, I soon found myself seeing the flower crown being established.

Only until I stopped from the sound of a voice.

"Hello, poppet!"

-=-

[ M E A N W H I L E . . . ]
(No one's POV )

Arthur proceeded to poke on the soil with a stick in hesitance as he walked after Alfred. His face determined reluctance and concern for (Name)'s safety.

"How do you think she's doing, Al?" Arthur asked in a hushed tone, looking back to where he was walking from as if he was able to see (Name) from here.

She intruiged him - from her quiet and calm demeanor to her strong and feisty personality. Sometimes, she would withstand such hard measures, and other times she would break down from things that seemed to trigger her past.

Even if he's known her for a little while, he knew she was important to Alfred, and he respected that.

"I don't know, but I'm sure she's fine. Don't worry about it." Alfred replied as he looked up to the trees. "I'm going to hunt for some more branches. I'll be right back."

"Alright then. I'll possibly go visit (Name) to see if she's still sleeping. I'm supposing the protection barrier already wore off."

"Okay, seeya."

"See you soon, Alfred."

-=-

(Name) threw another swift punch to the stranger's face. Her dagger was still hidden in her bag by the camp, leaving her unarmed.

The stranger dodged.

"Ah, ah, ah, poppet! No can do." He chuckled before catching her awaiting fist, twirling her, and trapped her in his arms.

Her back to his chest, she struggled to free. "Let me go!"

"No can do," He repeated his words with a sick smile. "Trying to play hide and seek from Luciano, hm? You can run, but you can never hide!"

He then leaned his head against her ear. "I'll let you go this time, my dear, but I'll still find you. We're all watching from every corner."

Then, he pushed her away, leaving her speechless. Why was he letting her go? Why wasn't he bringing her to his instructor?

"Just know I'm not particularly working for Luciano. But do know we're giving you a chance to get away," He chirped, lazily saluting. "I won't tell a word, don't you worry."

"Why are you doing this anyway? Who are you?"

"Call me Oliver, sweetie. And just know that Luciano isn't the only person who wants you."

With a final smile, accompanied with a lustful wink, he disappeared in thin air.

She was a bit shaken from the sudden encounter. It went all too fast.

Luciano wants her, and now this man too? She was now aware that she was watched, but nothing seemed to come at her.

What was so special about her? She couldn't just assume that she was some sort of 'Sacred Beauty'. She may be princess, but what matters about that? The gold and treasures that seek upon her kingdom? Or was there something else?

"(Name)?" A voice called.

Arthur.

"I'm here!" She called back, proceeding to follow after the voice.

With a glance over her shoulder, she then relaxed and arrived where Arthur was.

-=-

Night engulfed the three travelers, leaving them to rest for the time being. (Name) was wide awake, still anxious about that encounter.

She now knew she was being watched. But where? Are they obscured from the human eye?

"(Name), go to sleep." Arthur mumbled with half an eye-lid lifted up. He seemed to have been awoken, but possibly to check on (Name) like he does every night.

"I'm sorry, my apologies." She whispered, moving her body to face him. "I just...I can't sleep."

"Why is that?" He asked, his voice soft and gentle. Then, she sat up.

"It's nothing, really. Just thoughts."

He sighed, soon laying on his back. His sleeping spot was next to hers, so he received a good chance in talking to her without walking Alfred up.

"If anything, I do hope it isn't negative thoughts."

"Honestly...they're mixed."

"Well, if you would like to converse with someone, you can come to me. Most of my concerns are mainly for you, most likely because I'm aware that you're being hunted by some others. But do know Alfred and I will protect you until your in the neighboring kingdom. Coincidentally, I do know some in the Royal Castle, although there is one person in particular that I do not favor."

This made (Name) giggle. "I do hope that you two will make up then."

"Not until centuries and centuries away."

-=-

"Don't always assume that by expression they are what you think. A calm smile can compose an unstable murderer. A rude glare can determine a sorrowful soul."