Chapter 49: Farewell

1 Day Before the War

I waited by the gate. I expected everyone to be here by now, but no one came. Not yet, that is.

You see, I merely wanted to bid my goodbyes. As much as I wanted to join in, I couldn't. Or so I had assumed, because I did have an option of going with them against their will. But that wouldn't please them, would it?

Unfortunately, I was still going through the phase of thought. Should I go? Should I not?

If I had wanted to be considerate, I would not go. If I wanted to show them that I strongly love my kingdom and my friends, I would go and fight alongside them.

It's pressuring. With little time...

"Ya-hallo, (Name)!" chirped a familiar voice. There stood Alfred, beaming like always. I wonder what had happened to him throughout this entire time. Before, when we first arrived, he was gloomy and cold.

Something...doesn't really feel right, does it?

"Alfred, you're pretty early," I spoke, trying to keep the conversation going. "considering how you're always late to things such as this."

I didn't smile like he did, much less even smile. I couldn't smile, knowing how they're going to leave soon. Right?

"Oh, right, right." he replied, nodding in agreement. Then, he turned around and started marching away from me. "I'll just go back now."

"No, it's okay. You're here anyways, so you might as well wait for the others too." I sighed. "Unless you really want to go back. Whatever's your choice, I guess..."

I could tell that he noticed my intentions.

"So...you really want to go, huh?"

"Yeah."

"But you obviously can't. You know that."

"Yeah. I know."

"Look. There are...countless of many reasons why you can't go. And you know that! So, please, whatever you're thinking. Just- just don't do it, okay?"

I didn't want to say this. But I would have caused trouble for everyone if I did come, right?...right. So, what am I thinking? Why would I bother going to some war where I didn't even plan out, and recklessly ruin my side's battle plan and end up getting someone hurt?

I always read something bad happening when it comes to those situations. In those worn down books...on the bottom of my satchel..

But...

Should I avenge the people who lost their lives? As everyone else is doing it, I might as well do it too.

"(Name), please." Alfred said in a stern tone.

I sighed. I'm sure that my thoughts will be resolved as soon as I take action.

Whatever that will be.

"Yeah. Sure."

-

3rd Person POV

"You know, it was nice meeting you all." Francis said to everyone. He had tears in his eyes, a pained smile touched upon his features.

"You're not dead." Matthew whispered, looking away with a glum expression.

"I might as well say so as my last sentence before my last breath.... Oh no! You..!"

"Kesese, your new last sentence can be interpreted in many ways now..." said Gilbert, who was snickering from afar.

Yao began to pick up the remaining bags on the floor. He sighed, rubbing his sore back. It was difficult for him to pick up all the bags and bringing it along with him within the entire trip; he wanted, so longingly, for assistance.