Chapter 43: Nothing

Back and forth. Swing. Jump back. Swing. Block. Swing again.

This was my training. I would do this on my spare time, whenever I can, whenever I'm alone. It was necessary now that I had to defend myself, be the offense, to an attack now that Alfred isn't protecting me anymore.

"That's not powerful enough," I whispered to myself, pausing for a moment. All those discouragements are really getting to me, huh? And I could've sworn that I left without it from the castle. I swung again, testing if I could hear the blade slicing through air, testing if I could see the blade rushing right passed, testing if I could feel the wind trying to hold it back, but couldn't.

Back and forth. Swing. Jump back. Swing. Block. Stay there.

It was clear that there was still some imperfections. Even as I am aware of it, I repeat it again and again out of habit. I felt like a fool being weaved against a web of problems, forever sticking to it like glue, and forever trapped in it for what felt like eternity.

I did my training alone again and again whenever I felt like it, without Alfred's help. Whenever he glared down on me, it made me feel as if I really were at fault for something. Was I his antagonist now, as he was my hero?

The wind blew harshly in response, pounding against my clothes and weapon. I shielded my eyes, feeling it getting wet.

A/N: heheh.

Suddenly, a man appeared. Holding a smug smirk and devilish eyes, I knew by then that he was one of Luciano's soldiers who were roaming about after all. Then he sneered as he eyed my weapon, making me distraught by his actions. Who does he think he is? Women can train to!

"I'm getting pretty impatient with you, doll."

With that, I replied, "What the hell do you want?" in a venomous tone. His reaction didn't turn into one of shock or fear, but his smirk grew and he cackled at my response. I clenched my fists.

"Look, I've been watching over you for...what? 2 weeks now? Anyways, I heard you were the one who killed Oliver off from this world. That surely means something to me, you know." he said, sharply even, and immediately expressed anger and hatred through his glare.

"I...did?"

"Either you think you did or not," he began, unsheathing his own sword. "you're going to pay for your debt right here and now."

His explanation did seem convincing. Oliver did work for Luciano, and this man seems to know him. They were close, it had been vaguely intimated there, and if one of them dies, the other grieves. So now I'm being blamed for again....I guess I deserve it.

Almost instantly, he lunged forth to aim for my chest area.

I knew that I couldn't do anything. That this would mean that if I die, then everyone will be happy again. But something told me to stop. And after those few milliseconds of realizing, I feared death.

So I blocked his blow.

Is this what selfishness truly was, then? Back when I was younger, I thought that being selfish was to use up our supplies to bake my mother cookies, even if they went to waste. I thought that being selfish was to take someone's happiness away because they were doing bad things.

Selfishness, right now, is when I begged for my life for my sake only, and not for others. And I regret it, but these movements were intuitive.

Can we talk about this? Or can I just continue blocking his attacks for as long as I can hold on?

He took a swing to my waist. I was too slow to dodge, but he only managed to create a wound. I suppressed a cry and suddenly swung back with the same amount of force (as I had assumed it was). Unfortunately, he dodged completely.

"Weak. Coward. Is this all you could do?"

"You're not strong."

"Unfortunately for you, you're going to die an early death without me."

I had always thought that something will magically happen and things will get better. And as I blocked again, I knew that my time was running out. I fell, collapsed, broke down. I couldn't get up. And all he did was laugh and raise his sword, watching me with a victorious smile.

If I wanted to let my life go so easily, then so be it! I don't need it anymore. I don't want it anymore. No one needs me. If I can't fend for myself, I might as well be called useless.

And so I closed my eyes and breathed out a sigh.

I heard the wind being cut off abruptly, and then feet shuffling away. I didn't open my eyes until I felt something warm surrounding me. I didn't want to assume that I was just swimming in my own blood or anything like that, so I checked to see what was happening.

The familiar scent that I had immediately recognized soothed me.

"...Why, Alfred?" I whispered, leaning against his shoulder. "I thought that I was alone here?"

He was quiet for a while, his arms still around me. He didn't say anything, he was silent.

"Don't you hate me?" I asked weakly, trembling.

When he pulled away, he avoided my eyes. He sighed. "I'm sorry," was all he said.

He looked hurt.

I simply gave him a pained smile. So he really did stay true to his word, I thought.

True to his word in protecting me at all costs.

-

"This is a quote that deserves a name."

-

the end is nearing. i'm so excited. =w=

pumped up to do a writing-marathon! toot toot! *readies keyboard*

- yukina