Chapter 39: Sleeping

This is going to be really short. Sorry for that. :P

-

Walking around different rooms and checking up on Arthur is tiring. I felt like sitting down, take a rest, maybe even nap for a few moments to pass time, but I had much to do. Plan my departure, plan the next kingdom to set forth, plan how to wield a sword and how to defend myself precisely. I had yet to discover what Luciano was capable of.

I admired the view from where I stood, the windows casting a whimsical aspect of nature. The room was dead silent, only until I heard light shuffling.

Intuitively, I magically pulled out Arthur's wand and chanted in a clear voice - Homenum Revelio.

A few moments later, an individual slowly appeared. He seemed to be in panic. His eyes wide, his body shaking in fear... Surely he did not know that he would be caught now, would he?

It was Oliver. And that had shocked me even more.

"Spy?!"

"Oh, h-hello!"

No doubt, he really is a spy. I grew worried of what he knew. He must be aware of the current plans. He must have warned Luciano by now.

"Um....I-I'll just scurry off now. Tootles!"

"You're not going anywhere, creep!" I screeched, sprinting at him through full speeds and tackled him to the floor, immediately preventing him from any escape.

He squirmed and cried, trying to break free, but I resisted in allowing him free.

"You're not going anywhere! What you're doing is definitely unforgivable, you ass."

"I'm sorry! I'm so very sorry, poppet! Just please, let me go - you're hurting me..."

I didn't budge, but I made sure that I wasn't bending his arms too roughly.

"Tell me why Luciano is so desperate in marrying me, and I might have some thoughts in letting you go." I hissed coldly, trying to stare daggers at the back of his head as he sobbed softly.

"I...I don't know!"

"You're lying."

"I'm not lying!"

I scoffed, "Then why is it that you're unsure about that?"

"...fine! I'll tell you!"

My grip on his wrists tightened, causing him to cry out.

"H-he knows about your capability... He - he's greedy! All he wants is your power."

"Oh...that?"

The candles around us flickered and hissed. That's all I heard afterwards, and its calls whispered against my ears in a brief pattern.

Trust no one.

Everyone is suspicious.

Be aware.

Be agile.

I sometimes hated this...this power that I had. I never particularly liked discussing about it, but it's effective. I rarely use it nowadays. Before, years ago, I had actually practiced and trained my power, to control it.

And now?

I hate it.

"He's a greedy man. I'm sorry, dear, but I'm only helping him because..." he started to sob again. "because he has my family. The only - the only people that I have left, the ones that would open up a bakery with me."

His voice cracked. His voice grew more quiet and gentle. His voice grew more vulnerable and sorrowful. He cried.

"I miss them."

I slowly released Oliver from my grasp, letting myself up and let him freely scramble away.

"I'm so sorry." he apologized with sincerety. "I shouldn't have said anything. I had...no position whatsoever to tell you any of this. God, I'm such a burden."

"Thanks for telling me. Be safe our there."

"You're letting me go?"

"Yeah."

"But shouldn't I be executed for trespassing? Shouldn't I be punished somehow?"

"Yeah."

My expressions obviously contradicted that.

"But, Oliver, I can clearly see your intentions. I'll let you go. You don't...deserve to be hurt."

"But...."

"Just go."

His lips parted slightly to indicate his upcoming statement, but it never came. Then he sighed, as if in defeat, and slowly turned around. Once or twice he would look over his shoulder, obviously hesitant, before chanting a spell and disappeared into the night's abyss.

"...I don't remember how I got this ability, anyways."

-

"..."

-

this is still an x reader btw. just look carefully at some parts. find the components that make up a ship between you and a character. also, get ready for another filler.

- yuki