Chapter 47: Waiting

Orion's Pov

Arie packed her bags and left the next week in the middle of the night. She went into Autumns room and kissed her forehead before leaving. She said bye to August. She didn't say anything to me as she left. She just got in the car and left.

That was two months ago. People were still being killed. They still had the eights and the leafs on their wrists. I didn't talk to Arie. She didn't take her phone and she didn't talk to me.

"Star, where's Mommy?" Autumn asked quietly. I looked down at August in my arms. I was feeding him a bottle.

"I don't know baby," I said. She just frowned at the ground,"go get ready for bed. I'll read you a story when August goes to bed."

"Okay," she walked up the stairs. I stared at her back then looked down at August.

"I can't do this West," I already knew he was standing in the hallway. He wanted to know how I was going to answer Autumn.

"Sure you can. Just tilt the bottle higher-"

"You know what I mean," I cut him off. He went silent.

"You have to Orion. You have to for Autumn and August. They need you. Arie's gone. I'm sorry that I'm telling you that she won't come back. She can't handle this. You are a single dad but you're not alone. You have all of us. We're here for you," he said. I looked down at August in my arms.

"It's only been two months. She said she'd be back. She promised," I stood up. He frowned at me.

"I'm sorry Orion," he whispered. I got up and walked up the stairs.

I put August in his bed then read Autumn a story. She fell asleep as I was reading it to her. I stared at her for a second before getting up. I walked down the stairs and leaned against the wall.

I grabbed a cup from the cabinet and stared at it. I dropped it, making the glass smash.

"Sugar," I whispered under my breath. I started to sweep the glass when Will sat at the table.

"Did you say Sugar?" He asked. He was laughing.

"Autumns in the repeating stage. I try not to curse around her," I put the glass in the trash.

"Sugar?"

"You'll understand in a few years," I waved him off. He just stared at me.

"Orion, if you need to go looking for her-"

"I wouldn't know where to start," I ran a hand through my hair. He just stared at me.

"Sorry."

"It's fine. I'm going to sleep. Autumn goes to preschool tomorrow," I walked up the stairs.

Will thought I was losing my mind waiting for Arie to come back. To be honest, I think I was too. I was losing my mind.

I laid down in my bed. It felt like seconds when crying started. I sat up and walked to the baby room. I fed August a bottle and changed his diaper before walking back to my room. It was seconds later that Autumn woke me up, telling me that it was morning.

"Okay okay," I got out the bed and followed her to her room. She insisted on wearing a tutu. I didn't care.

She ate breakfast then put her book bag on her back. I took a picture of her. She was smiling.

"Okay baby, have a good day," Lily took her to preschool. I watched her out the window then waited a little longer.

I don't know what I was waiting for. I was just waiting. Waiting and waiting. Waiting for something that wasn't going to come.