Chapter One - Not Again Bilbo Baggins!

It was a gorgeous summer morning over the valley of the Shire. The little folk were up with the birds attending to their gardens, visiting with their friends having tea. Maura(More-Uh) was on her way back from Rivendell getting medical supplies for her home. Finding supplies was difficult in this part of Middle-Earth, hobbit's were not the type to go searching for trouble outside their borders, which left little chance of them getting extremely hurt. Maura mainly dealt with the odd scraps and cut's of little hobbit children getting to rough with each other and delivering babies. 

Maura recognized the little hills and rivers and knew she was back in the Shire. As she walked up the dirt path she waved to the hobbits and greeted them along the way. The hobbit's found her a bit odd, especially all the traveling she did in the scary world outside their home. The woman was a lot cheerier then the average dwarf, which probably had to do with her hobbit half. Their was one young hobbit that enjoyed her presence especially when she told of her travels. Maura was a good friend of the 'Took' family and was Bilbo's mother; Belladonna's best friend. The half-breed made a promise to her friend that she would watch over her son and to not let him get into to much trouble.

The half-breed trudged up to her house and opened the door. She was happy to be back, but it wasn't home. She didn't feel as if she belonged here and often would dream of a place far away with others that would accept her. Maura placed her supplies on the table and didn't make it pass the main room when she noticed something out of place. Her medical books had been moved from their rightful spots on the shelf and were now scattered all over her furniture. She knew exactly who it was and grabbed a few things she would need and headed up to the 'Baggin's' home under the hill. Maura opened the gate and ran up the few steps and knocked on the wooden door.

"Bilbo? Are there?" Maura called out. She received no answer and grew worried. She knocked again, still no answer. "I'm coming in Bilbo." The young woman opened the door to a clean, well kept home much like her own. She found a small trail of blood drops going towards the kitchen. She followed it and let out a sigh of relief to see the hobbit alive. "Bilbo, what happened?" Maura walked over to the young lad to examine his arm that was covered with a rag. He flinched when she tried to remove it. " Let me look at it." She demanded. He rolled his eyes and let her remove it.

" It's nothing, really. Just a scrap." Bilbo insisted, that their was nothing to worry about, The half-breed cocked an eyebrow at him, wanting the real story. 

"What were you really doing Bilbo Baggins?" She asked, calling him by his full name. He sighed but decided to tell her.

" Alright I was searching for the wood elves and I might have not watched where I was going and fell down a steep hill and cut my arm on a rock along the fall down." 

She shook her head at him." Bilbo you have to be more careful. I swear I go through more supplies with your silly clumsiness than I delivery babies. Your becoming more and more like your mother everyday. If you wanted to meet the elves, you should have just told me. I would have been happy to have you accompany me when I go for my next travels to Rivendell." She stated with a smile. 

"How was Rivendell?" 

"Rivendell was pleasant. It was nice to see Lord Elrond again. I spent my few days in his library reading up on certain herbs and special remedies." Maura explained, speaking as if she was still there. " Bilbo, I am surprised with how many visit's I have with you having to bandage your cuts I would think you would be an expert yourself to treat it by now." She grumbled at him. 

"I know. But I know how much you enjoy this job you do, Aunt Maura. You love healing people back to health." He stated, and she smirked to herself. He was right. She had a passion for wanting to help others and especially examining different wounds and symptoms and trying out different ways of treating them. Being only in the Shire, her full knowledge was not needed. Bilbo was the closest she got to actually having to bandage or clean wounds so they wouldn't get infected.

" There. Now please be a little more careful Bilbo." She joked and he smiled.

" Oh, would you care to stay for dinner. I am cooking fish with some vegetables." He offered. She looked at him with a grin.

"I would loved to stay for dinner." The hobbit got straight to work to prepare the meal for the two of them. While the hobbit cooked, Maura set the table with the proper eating utensils. Bilbo handed her a basket of buns to add to the table. The woman was coming back down the hall after washing up for dinner and she followed the delicious smell coming from the kitchen. The hobbit placed two plates on the table. "It smells wonderful Bilbo." and the woman took her seat across from the hobbit. Bilbo demanded she tell him all about her trip to Rivendell and if she saw anything exciting along her long journey. 

The hobbit was squeezing a lemon over his fish when his bell rang, causing the two of them to stop what they were doing. " Bilbo. Were you expecting company, before I showed up?" She questioned, wondering who would be coming at this time of day, Hobbit's by now would be settling down to their own meals.

"No. I would have remembered, if I was expecting company. I don't have the slightest idea who is at the door." The hobbit stated, just as surprised as she was. The bell rang for a third time and the two of them were left wondering , one more curious then the other as to who could be at the door.  

[This is my first Hobbit Story. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. I would love to know what you think of it. I own nothing but my character Maura and the text that's not from the movies or books. Happy Reading and I hope to hear what you all think of it.]

                                                         ~Mireya Oakenshield~