Chapter Forty One - The Dragon Slayer

It was the fourth restless night Maura had in a row since Thorin's outburst in the throne room and his threatening warning he gave her if she should ever question him again. She couldn't understand how Thorin, could think one of them had taken the stone for himself. The healer continued to watch her companions exhaust themselves even more trying to find the Arkenstone to help ease the mind of their king.

The healer reluctantly walked down to the treasure room, attempting yet again to talk some sense into her Dwarf and try to convince him that everything he was doing was unnecessary. He was driving his men to the point they could barely stand on their own legs. If she didn't do something soon, she feared her friends weren't going to last much longer. Once Maura walked onto the balcony that had an entire view of the treasure hoard. There, they all were. Her Dwarves working as hard as they could trying to find that bloody stone. Her face fell into a frown. She hated seeing them like this. She couldn't even begin to remember when any of them had gotten a decent rest. Maura spotted Fili and Kili searching in the farthest corner of the room. Those poor boys, they would do anything for their uncle. The woman did another quick scan and furrowed her brows when she couldn't find Thorin anywhere or Bilbo....or Dwalin for that matter.

Maura left the treasure room and wandered down the hall. She wasn't really sure where to start her search for the king but she didn't have to look long when she heard his voice echoing off the walls down the hall. "To the gate! Now!" The half-breed soon heard heavy steps coming down the hall behind her and Thorin walked right passed her without even saying a word. The others weren't far behind.

"What's going on?" Maura asked when she saw Dwalin.

"Survivors from Laketown. They are streaming into Dale. There's hundreds of them." Maura didn't say anything, but wondered what Thorin was planning on doing now. Would he honor his promise that he made to them?

The company gathered in the great hall. The king was eyeing up the giant hole the dragon had created when he crashed through the wall. Once he had received this ill news, he immediately thought of his gold. Those sniveling fishermen would be crawling up his doorstep, wanting their part of what they were owed. He couldn't allow that to happen. This was his gold and no one was going to take it from him. The king then knew what needed to be done. The Dwarf whirled around to look at his men. " I want this entrance sealed at once!" Thorin Barked. A glare began to form across his face when his company hadn't budged. They were beyond tired and wondered why this couldn't wait till tomorrow, when they were all well rested. "NOW!" He snapped. Without another word the Dwarves, Bilbo and Maura got straight to work, wishing not to upset the king any further.

The healer walked over to a decent size chunk of stone and began her attempt to move it, which was incredibly difficult for her. Even though she was half Dwarf, her figure was quite small, when Dwarven women were slightly more butch. Balin glanced over to see the young woman struggling to push the stone to get to roll over towards the entrance. " Lass, their is no need for you to do this. You could get hurt." Balin stated, giving her a tired smile. "Best you get some rest," he added.

"But what about the all of you? It's not fair. All of you need your rest as well." She argued.

"Don't worry about us. We'll be fine Maura." The elder Dwarf said, giving her a weary look.

"I want this fortress made safe by sunup. This mountain was hard won. I will not see it taken again." The king ordered. Kili suddenly dropped the end of the wheelbarrow he was holding, causing Bilbo to stop.

"The people of Laketown have nothing! They came to us in need! They have lost everything!" Kili pressed. Thorin slowly turned to face his youngest nephew and glared.

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough of their hardship." Thorin growled, before turning to look upon the ruin city, seeing numerous fires lit by the survivors. " Those who have lived through dragon fire should rejoice! They have much to be grateful for."