Chapter Forty Seven - A Healer's Calling

Maura had yet to move as her breath hitched in her throat. Beorn continued striding towards her. "Thorin?" she whispered in fear, so quiet that she barely heard it herself and she shook her head, not wanting to believe it. "Thorin no!" Maura screamed running towards the skinchanger when Dwalin caught an arm around the woman's chest to stop her. "Let me go!" Maura pushed the warriors arm away and stopped just an inch away from Beorn and fell to her knees on the stone floor.

"I am so sorry Maura. We couldn't get to him in time." Beorn sighed deeply. He gently laid The king on the ground in Maura's arms. The healer continued to cry out her Dwarf's name as he laid in her arms. "Thorin? Thorin no! Please! Come back!" She cried. " Please, you can't leave me. I can't go through this again." The healer shook him, still hoping he would wake up when her hand stopped at his wound and saw what created it. It was the perfect shape of Azog's bladed arm.

"Maura, I know you don't want to hear this but we must take him down to the burial chambers." Balin sighed heavily, placing a hand on the young woman's shoulder. She shook her head as her tears streamed down her face onto Thorin's.

"No...Thorin please! Wake up! Please..." Maura began smacking his chest out of anguish when the most unexpected thing happen. The king let out a harsh cough, spiting out some blood at the same time. "Thorin?" she said not sure if she was just hearing things. At first she got nothing and then she heard it.

"Maura....Maura ..." The Dwarf King voice was very weak and was fading fast, repeating her name over and over again.

"We need to get him to the healing chambers. Now!" She ordered. Beorn picked up the Dwarf and went at a fast pace down the hall, making Maura practically have to run to stay beside him as she led the way. She opened the door and pointed for Beorn to lay Thorin on the middle stone table. The healer wasted no time grabbing medical supplies she would need off the shelf. She was back at the table and placed her hand above Thorin's lips and still felt a faint breath. Maura took his hand and squeezed it. " Thorin, if you can hear me. I need you to hang on." She told him. Their was nothing for a few minutes and she fought back the tears building up again behind her eyes, she had to stay focus right now. She was about to get to work, removing his clothing when she felt the kings grip somewhat tighten around her hand. She took it as a sign that he heard her.

She began undoing his belt that held his chain armored coat in place. She pushed the armor aside and grabbed a small knife to cut through his long sleeves he wore to get to the wound faster. Maura looked towards the door, when she heard her companions making haste towards the chambers. " Don't let them in. I can't be distracted right now. I have to get this bleeding to stop. And I can't do it with all there shouting." The skinchanger nodded and left the room to speak to them all.

Thorin's chest was now exposed. It was then she saw just how much of a beating he had already taken. Most of his chest were covered in dark bruises. She even saw some old scars he must have gotten during his time in the battle for Moria. Maura had to stop the bleeding some how. To heal Thorin it was going to take everything she knew from the Elves and what she had learned from her own kin. She placed a rag on his wound to apply pressure. Maura was applying a lot of pressure, enough he should have at least flinched in pain or something. Thorin had barely made as much as a grunting sound, which wasn't necessarily a good thing. It could only mean that he was slipping away on her and she had to do something quickly before he faded away completely. She used her other hand to lift Thorin up into a sitting position to see that the blade had gone all the way through, the bleeding was coming out from both sides.

Beorn came back into the room. " Stubborn Dwarves.." He muttered lowly.

"Beorn. I need you to heat this knife in the fire!" She asked him. He nodded to her and took the knife that was laying on the table beside her and walked over to the hearth to heat the blade. Maura could feel Thorin's form beginning to slouch. " Hurry Beorn, were losing him!" she pressed. "Thorin stay with me! You can't give up now!"