Chapter Forty Three - Thief In The Night

Once Bilbo had disappeared from the healing chambers, Maura had ventured down towards the armory, only to see her companions clad in shiny, heavy armor. Their swords and axes were nice and sharp. They were ready for battle.

Maura was about to return to the chambers, it pained her to see that this was what it had come down to. Thorin would have blood shed before giving up an ounce of gold. The healer had almost got away before anyone had notice her appearance but she was not quick enough.

"Maura." Thorin's deep voice called. The young woman had stopped in her tracks and slowly turned around to look the king in the eyes. She couldn't deny that she felt herself tremble when the Dwarf started to come towards her, and she took a step back from him. What was he going to do to her now? "Maura what are you doing down here? This is no place for a woman." He stated sternly.

"Thorin you don't have to do this. There has to be another way to reason with the Lakemen and Elves." Maura pleaded.

"Their is no reasoning with these men. They are after the gold. And I won't let them take what is ours." He declared in a cold tone. The half-breed couldn't help but look at him in horror. Her Dwarf really was too far gone. She looked at the ground in defeat. Was Bilbo right? Should she leave while she still could? " I don't want you on the battlement with us when we face the Elves and that vile Lakemen, Bard. This will probably end with blood spent. I will not let them take what is mine." Maura still hadn't looked up at him and she suddenly felt herself being tugged towards him and felt his lips against her forehead. " I won't let them take you from me." He whispered stroking her hair and he walked passed her down the corridor. Maura let the shaky breath she had been holding in, out. His words sent chills through her body. Was he indicating that he now owned her? And why would he suspect someone taking her from him? The only person taking her away from him, was himself.

It was the next morning. Maura had awoken in the healing chambers to see she was alone. The healer half expected to at-least see Bilbo back in the room to tell her how things went last night. She started to have bad thoughts that something might have happened to him. What if he had been caught? Or worse?

The door closed behind the woman as she made her towards the front gate. As she got closer she could hear the thunderous marching outside the mountain. The healer started ascending up the steps where she saw the Dwarves and to her relief Bilbo, all gazing over the wall at the audience that had gathered. Maura had just climbed up the last step when Thorin all of a sudden released an arrow.

Maura let out a gasp as Thorin drew his bow for a second time. "I will put the next one between your eyes!" He shouted in warning. His men cheering right beside him, yelling threats in Khuzdul. Maura came up beside Balin, and appeared over the edge to see the Elven King, Thranduil and Bard with a huge army of Elves behind them.

In a matter of seconds the Elves drew their bows and aimed them at the company. All ducking behind the battlements for protection. Balin yanked the healer down from the danger. The only one that hadn't moved was...Thorin. The Dwarf was too proud to back down that easily. That part of Thorin always terrified Maura a little.

"We have come to tell you, payment of your debt has been offered, and accepted." The sound of Thranduil's voice came from below.

"What payment? I gave you nothing! You have nothing!" The Dwarf King spat.

"We have this." Bard stated, pulling something out from the inside of his coat. The woman watched as Thorin slowly, lowered his bow. It had to be something of great importance's for the Dwarf to just lower his defenses.

"They have the Arkenstone." Kili murmured in shock, causing the healer to widen her eyes in horror. She never want to think it was true, but she couldn't deny it. Has Bilbo had the stone this entire time? Was this what he was doing last night when he left the healing chambers to do whatever it was he couldn't tell her? "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!"