Chapter Twelve - A Future Event Seen

Maura woke up to the warm light of the sun, shinning down into her room. The half-breed stretched her arms and opened her eyes, tossing the blanket off of her and she got up and walked over to the Balcony. She had an incredible view of the forest that surrounded the great Elven city. The healer ran her fingers through her long thick curly brown hair and decided to take a shower to clean herself up. 

The healer was now doing up her last button of her dress up. Now feeling clean and refreshed. Maura left her quarters and wandered down the hall. Maura was headed towards the gardens when the oddest thing caught her eyes. She walked over to the ledge and saw the dwarves were all still sleeping on the balcony on the ground level. The elves had offered them rooms, that were far more luxurious then where they were resting. She was sure the reason they were all sleeping outside was because of Thorin. He would rather put his men through a few restless nights then accept the help from any elf. The healer also knew these dwarves would follow Thorin through anything; he was both their leader and King.

The woman continued on her stroll to the beautiful gardens, carrying her book: Ancient Healing remedies, she had borrowed from Lord Elrond's library. Maura found her favorite spot; which was on bench near some rare violet blossoms that only bloomed in the summer. Elrond had told her once what they were called, but the name seemed to have escaped her, but she found them to be quite peaceful to be around as she read her book. She imagined Bilbo must be out just enjoying himself, exploring the home of Lord Elrond. She hoped the hobbit wasn't getting himself into too much trouble. Maura knew how much the young lad has wanted to come to Rivendell and meet the elves. 

"Lady Maura. I was wondering if I might find you out here." Lord Elrond spoke, standing on the pathway. Maura looked up and smiled and closed her book.

"Lord Elrond. Is everything alright?" Maura asked, feeling slightly worried. She couldn't read the elf's expression. It was as if he wanted to tell her something but at the same time he didn't.

"I've come to tell you that. Lindir has all your medical supplies all prepared and it has been brought to your room for you." The elf explained.

"Thank you again, Lord Elrond. I will find a way to repay you for your kindness." Maura said, with a smile.

"Please, my dear that is not necessary. Your gratitude is payment enough. Besides I feel that I must warn you about this quest you are going on." The elf came and took a seat beside her. 

Maura's jaw tightened. Did the lord see something in her future? She had heard of the elf's special ability to see ones future but never did she imagine it was her future he would see. The healer was in deep thought about this. Questions began to go through her mind, was it good? Bad? Someone close to her? Or could it be something else. " Maura I do not wish to frighten you, but I feel you must know." The elf let out a sigh, composing himself before continuing on. " Maura when I looked into your future I saw...death." The woman was quiet for the longest time, her mind immediately went to Bilbo. And she had to ask. 

"Death. As in someone I know?" She slowly asked, looking into the elf's eyes. 

"Death, as in your own. If you continue on this path your headed, it will only lead to your death."

The half-breed stood up. She felt like the air around her had suddenly become harder to get. She knew what she had signed up for when she agreed to join this company; their was that big possibility she may not survive this dangerous journey and hearing the elf's words had caused her to form a pit in her stomach. 

"H-how? W-when?" She stuttered, not sure if she actually wanted to know when this event was to take place. The healer began to pace, her mind was swimming. This was more then what she could handle. " I'm sorry Lord Elrond, I have to go." The healer insisted and before the elf could say anything she left; heading down a different pathway. Lord Elrond got up and let out a sigh as he watched the young woman disappear. 

Maura came to a slow pace as she walked over and took a seat on a flat rock that looked over one of the many waterfalls. She wondered if it was going to hurt, when the time came. Or was it going to happen so quick that she wasn't even going to see it coming. She wiped the few tears that had come down her face and shifted in her spot when she realized she no longer was alone. " Bilbo." She said cheerfully. 

"Aunt Maura, are you alright?" Bilbo questioned, noticing the woman was not her usual self. 

"I'm fine. Come sit with me." She offered, patting a spot beside her on the rock. The hobbit walked over and sat beside her, the two of them just watching as the water slammed into the rocks. 

"Aunt Maura, you seem upset? Are you sure your alright?" Bilbo asked again, looking into his aunts eyes. 

"Bilbo. I'm fine, really. You don't need to worry about me." She insisted as she wrapped an arm around the hobbit and held him close and smiled as the two of them watched the sun set in front of them. One thing was for certain for Maura. If the elf's prediction was to come to pass, she would protect Bilbo for as long as she could until her time came. 

"Come on. We should head back. I am certain that Thorin will be insisting we leave as soon as possible." The healer stated. The hobbit nodded and the two of them climbed off the rock but not before the hobbit stopped and took in the beautiful colors that formed in the sky. Maura looked behind her to see the young lad had stopped.

"I'm going to miss this place." Bilbo said, almost as if he didn't want to believe they were going to be leaving this place. 

"I will miss this place as well." She admitted. Maura had so many wonderful memories here, and she was thankful for every single one of them. The hobbit eventually turned away and caught up to where the healer was and the two of them continued up the path, back up to the home of Lord Elrond, just as the nightfall began and the moon slowly rose in the dark sky. Maura had been right. Thorin had instructed every single member of the company to be ready at dawn to leave this place. The healer had found the supplies Lindir had left and she packed it away in her satchel. The woman walked over to her window ledge. The wind blowing through her hair as she looked up into the starry sky. Thinking about the two people she missed dearly in her life, they were taken from her way to soon. Maura closed her curtains and walked back over to her bed, got in it and she fell asleep; slightly happy that they were leaving tomorrow.