Chapter Six - History Lesson

The company had finished eating supper that Bombur had prepared for them. It was an experience both Bilbo and Maura had never had the opportunity to have before, and both of them were unsure if they could survive anymore nights like this one. The half-breed watched as the dwarves spilled their hot stew all over the place, throwing their bread at one another, when one told a terrible joke. Maura unfortunately wasn't so lucky and got hit with something wet, she assumed it was a piece of meat, either way she was not impressed with the way her race behaved. But she couldn't complain about all of them, their were a few that had decent manners. Balin, Dwalin and Thorin all sat in their own little circle; probably discussing plans, strategies and obstacles on this danger quest that they would possibly be facing before they reached the mountain. The half-bread found herself a little entranced by the way the dwarf prince sat proudly amongst his kin. Each and everyone of them looked to him as someone they would follow until the end.

Thorin was sitting on a rock, talking with Dwalin when he had an itch someone was watching him. He felt the nerve to glance through the flames of the fire and he saw the woman looking at him and she quickly turned away, talking again with Bilbo and he turned away and smirked as he continued to discuss things with the others.

The company began walking to their spots they had chose to sleep for the night. Thorin had instructed both his nephews to take the first watch for the first couple of hours and then Dwalin and Balin would take the next. Maura walked passed the hobbit, who was constantly shifting position's, trying to fall asleep. The woman grabbed the blanket he had tossed off and covered him back up and ruffled his hair and he seemed to relax after that and she smiled to herself. She looked around her to see all the dwarves sound asleep, snoring away until her gaze turned to the two young lads sitting on the other side of the fire, laughing and talking quietly amongst themselves. Maura didn't think it was fair to leave the responsibility of being on guard to such young boys. 

The half-breed rummaged through her bag and found her book on the latest Elf medicine and went and sat beside the two brother to keep them company. "Maura, you should get some sleep. We'll be back on the road before you know it." Fili pressed. 

"What you think I would just let you boys suffer all night alone by yourselves, like your uncle. Please you boys are much to young to be burden with such responsibility." Maura declared, slightly annoyed as she glanced at the leader that was sound asleep not to far from them.

" You sound like mother. She was always hard on uncle to. Thorin loves us like a father, but drives us like a leader." Kili stated, a little defensively as he smoked his pipe. 

"Oh. I didn't mean to sound like, I don't think your uncle loves. I'm sure he loves you both very dearly. I just never thought he would leave such a responsibility to young lads." She explained. 

"We can handle it." Fili pressed, as he exhaled a puff of smoke. 

"I'm sure the two of you can." She said as she opened her book and began reading; using the light of the fire. The half-breed passed out with her book still clutched in her hands. The two brother were still wide away and looked to see the woman sound asleep. Fili removed her book from her hands, while Kili covered her in his cloak. 

The hobbit woke up, sometime later in the night. The snores of the dwarves were too much for him and he couldn't sleep and he woke up just to see one of them swallow some flies as he let out another snore. He got up, looking around to see his aunt sleeping over by Fili and Kili and he got up from his spot and wandered over to his pony(Myrtle). He had been quite shy with her and even a bit hesitant when he rod her, but as the day went on he had formed a bond with this animal in no time and he no longer felt threatened of this gentle creature. Bilbo pulled out a delicious looking apple and he whispered softly to his new friend as he held the apple in the palm of his hand and the pony took the fruit willingly. The young lad stroked the animals forehead when he suddenly heard a piercing screech in the night. He heard the same frightening sound again and he turned around to look at the two brothers. 

"What was that?" Bilbo asked, in a startled tone. 

"Orcs." Kili said. 

"Orcs?" The hobbit questioned, as he ran over to the two young lads He had never heard such a name in his life. Thorin suddenly bolted awake, when he heard the hobbit mention 'orcs' and he turned to his side when he caught the sound of his nephews voices.

"Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there." Fili explained as he took another puff of his pipe. "The Lone-land's are crawling with them."

"They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams. Just lots of blood." Kili whispered, as Bilbo looked at them with pure fear on his face as they explained these vile creatures to him. The two brothers chuckled at the fact they frightened the burglar. They had no idea someone was listening the entire time.

" You think that's funny?" Thorin hissed, causing Maura to jerk awake and she rubbed her eyes to see the leader up from his spot and standing near the hobbit as he glared at his nephews. "You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?"

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili muttered, feeling guilty for upsetting his uncle.

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." The prince sneered as he stormed away, towards the edge of the cliff away from the others. Maura starred after him, wondering why he was being so harsh to the two boys. She didn't like that they were trying to frighten poor Bilbo but she knew they were just trying to be funny and they all turned when they heard someone else approaching on the other side of the fire. 

"Don't mind him, laddie." The elder dwarf stated, knowing the boys true intentions of their joke but also knew why their uncle was being so hard on them for childish antics. " Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first. Moria had been taken by legions of orcs, lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog the Defiler. The giant Gundabad orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin." Balin explained as he let out a sigh before continuing the next part of this story. " He began...by beheading the King. Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing. Taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat...and death were upon us. That is when I saw him. A young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe. His armor rent, wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield. Azog the Defiler learned that day...that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied...and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast...nor song that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived. And I thought to myself then...there is one who I could follow. There is one...I could call King."

Thorin had been listening the entire time when Balin shared with everyone of that tragic day. It ate at Thorin the most, he lost so much that day. He lost his grandfather, his father, and younger brother. The dwarf prince slowly turned around to see his kin all standing and looking at him in awe. The half-breed looked upon the dwarf, she could see the pain he was forced to hide and it explained a lot why he was so cold and distant from everyone. He was afraid of losing anyone else who was close to him.

"And the pale orc? What happened to him?" The hobbit dared to ask.

He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin sneered as he walked passed the others and back to his spot, glancing at the young woman as he walked passed her and climbed onto his spot. The others eventually all went back to sleep. Dawn would be rising soon and they would be back on the road. Maura pulled Kili's cloak higher so it was covering her and she closed her eyes the crackling sound of the fire fading more and she was sound asleep.

This is my first Hobbit Story. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. I would love to know what you think of it. I own nothing but my character Maura and the text that's not from the movies or books. Happy Reading and I hope to hear what you all think of it.

                                                              ~Mireya Oakenshield~