Chapter Thirty Four - To Slay A Dragon

Maura hadn't peeled her eyes away from the entrance as an orange glow illuminated the tunnel, hot air touching her skin. What was she thinking letting Bilbo go off down there alone? "What about Bilbo?" Ori asked nervously.

"Give him more time." Thorin replied, not even turning to look at any of his men. Maura flinched when she heard this. What was he thinking? The dragon was awake! Bilbo may of already been hurt or worse.

Seeing how distressed the healer was getting, who was still standing in front of the doorway. He walked over to the leader and narrowed his eyes. "Time to do what? To be killed?" Balin questioned. Thorin turned to his side to look at the Dwarf.

"You're afraid." Thorin claimed.

"Yes, I'm afraid. I fear for you." Balin admitted, pointing a finger at him, only for the leader to turn away and stare into the night. "A sickness lies over that treasure hoard, a sickness which drove your grandfather mad!"

"I am not my grandfather." Thorin hissed.

"You're not yourself! The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go in there-" The adviser was cut off by Thorin, when he could no longer listen to these accusations.

"I will not risk this quest for the life of one...burglar."

A small gasp was heard from Maura, as she listened to all of this. Thorin slightly turned, but refused to meet her eyes.

"Bilbo. His name is Bilbo." Balin hissed, looking at Thorin in disgust that he still thought so little of the hobbit, after everything he had done to get them this far. They would have been still trapped in Thranduil's dungeons if he hadn't come back for them.

"Thorin why are we just standing here! Bilbo could be hurt or worse!" Maura cried, coming towards him. The Dwarf prince turned around to look at her with no expression.

"No ones going anywhere." Thorin growled at her, not looking at her. Maura took a step back away from him, horrified by this dark attitude he had. The healer glared at Thorin and then turned around, heading for the door.

"Maura, what are you doing?" Dwalin questioned, grabbing her by the arm.

"I'm going to find Bilbo. Let me go." She hissed, yanking her arm away from Dwalin.

"Don't be a fool Maura. You go in there, you'll be killed!" Thorin shouted harshly. Maura could feel the tears beginning to come down here face.

"How can you say that! What about your promise you made to me in Laketown? You promised me that nothing would hurt me, as long as I was with you all. The only one hurting me right now is you!" She snapped. The half-breed looked around at the others, seeing all their eyes on her, including Thorin's. She locked eyes with Thorin for only a second before turning around and dashing through the entrance, down the tunnel.

Thorin watched as she disappeared into the mountain. To hear her say his own words to his face, caused him to look at the ground. He couldn't believe what had gotten into him, that he would choose to say those harsh words to her and about Bilbo for that matter. Was his old friend right? Was he slowly turning mad like his grandfather. He looked from the ground seeing the tunnel light up again and he went tense his voice only a whisper when he said her name." Maura." The leader barely glanced at his men, before charging through the entrance. He was not expecting them to follow him in, he pulled out his sword and ran down the hall.

Maura had dashed into the tunnel not thinking at the time, that she didn't even have the slightest clue which hall led to the treasure hoard. The woman had gone down several passages, barely hearing anything but the sound of her own breathing. It wasn't until she rounded the corner that she felt a wave of heat hit her face and she was forced to retreat back around the corner. Once the glowing light died, Maura was about to continue on when she felt a hand grab her by the arm and the other quickly covered her mouth, muffling her shriek. The healer relaxed and Thorin removed his hand.