Chapter Four - A Decision To Make

Maura ran to hobbit's side and began to examine him. Thorin glance down at her, his one eyebrow raised, watching her curiously. " Do you know what your doing?" Thorin asked her. The young woman was placing a cold cloth on his forehead and looked up at the dwarf.

"Of course I know what I'm doing. I am a healer." Maura said flatly and the dwarf furrowed his brows. He had never come across a woman as a healer; especially one that was half dwarf and half hobbit. The lad woke up only a few minutes later and sat up and looked at his aunt, wearing a confused expression. "Are you alright. Bilbo dear?"

"W-what happened?" Bilbo stuttered.

"Yah fainted laddie." Dwalin chuckled, causing the rest of them to laugh. Bilbo turned away, slightly embarrassed.

"Come on. I'll make you some tea." Maura insisted as she and Gandalf lead the hobbit out of the kitchen to the comforts of his chair in front of the hearth. Maura went back to the kitchen putting a tea pot full of water to boil over the fire. While she waited for the water to heat up she began putting away the clean dishes, the dwarves had so neatly placed in the center of the counter. As she put them in their rightful spots, Thorin and Balin had caught the young woman humming to herself. The white bearded dwarf thought it was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard, and he found himself starting to drift into a slumber and Thorin had to shake him to keep him from passing right out.

The half-breed poured the hot water into a mug and stirred it and walked passed the two dwarves; still humming towards the hearth. " Here you go Bilbo." She said sweetly as she handed the hobbit his tea.

"Thank you aunt Maura." Bilbo replied with a small smile.

"Just holler if you need anything else." She stated as she gave the hobbit a kiss on his forehead and left him in the hands of the wizard, who was going to try one last time to convince the hobbit that this was an adventure of a lifetime and Maura wandered back down the hall towards the kitchen to finish cleaning things up. Balin left the prince and went to talk to the young woman, who was now trying to organize some of the furniture that she could and put it back in there rightful spots.

"Here, let me help you with that lass." Balin insisted as he helped her move a shelf back up against the wall. "Master Baggin's is very lucky to have you as an aunt." Balin stated and she looked at him surprised, none of these dwarves seemed to have the greats manners or spoke kindly, but this dwarf seemed to be much wiser than the rest of them.

"Thank you Balin, but what makes you say that?" She challenged.

" Your a very kind soul, Maura. I can tell you put others needs before your own desires, I'm not sure that hobbit even knows how lucky he is. You have a mothers love for that halfling." He flattered with a smile and then he went serious. " Lass you would be very useful to us on this quest. Your are very skilled in your field and it would benefit us more to have two healers with us. You would be payed well, if we succeed in reclaiming Erebor." Balin proclaimed and the young woman looked at him almost shocked, not sure what to say. " You don't have decide right now, think about it first. We leave at dawn tomorrow. " he stated and then left to go continue his discussion with their leader.

Maura made herself a cup of tea and thought this over. For the longest time. She had done some traveling but if she decided to go with them, they would be traveling to the other end of the world. She loved it here it was so peaceful, but she never really got to put her skills to their full use. Balin was offering her the chance to do what she loved the most, which was heal the wounded. Bilbo was storming down the hall, towards his room when he caught out of the corner of his eye, his aunt sitting at the table alone stirring her tea.

"Aunt Maura, is everything alright?" Bilbo asked, in concern. Removing any thoughts of annoyance he had with the wizard a few moments ago.

"Oh, I'm alright dear. I'm just thinking." She stated, as a tear came down her face. She knew her choice, but she didn't know if she could bare the thought of leaving Bilbo behind. She had made a promise long ago to her friend to always look out for him. What if she went on this quest and she didn't come back? There would be no one left to protect this Halfling.

"Well, I hope things go back to normal once the wizard and dwarves leave. It would be nice to get back in routine and not have unexpected surprises." The hobbit declared.

"Your not going with them?" She asked, sounding a bit surprised by this. He had an adventure being pushed right into his hands, it was all he every wanted to do, when he grew up. He was so much like his mother and he was throwing it away.

"Aunt Maura, I'm not like you. I don't think I'd be brave enough to actually leave the Shire. I'm not a Took, I'm a Baggins; a Baggin's of Bag-End." He pressed and with that he got up from the chair.

"Well, I guess you should be the first to know." Maura began making the hobbit turn around to look at her. " I'm going with them Bilbo. Balin has offered me a spot with this company and I can be of good use to them. It's a chance for me to be able to use all my skills I've learned through the years and be able to put them to their full use." She admitted. Bilbo's face expression fell.

"But you do that here, aunt Maura." Bilbo stated.

"Bilbo, I bandage the odd scrap and deliver hobbit babies. That's all I've ever done. I've been given a chance to see the world, be able to help others that need me. Just like you have been given this opportunity to do the same." She declared, and walked over to the halfling. " Bilbo, if I don't see you in the morning before I leave. Don't think I would ever think less of you. I love you no matter what and.....if by some chance I don't return. My home and everything in it, will go to you." and with that said she gave the lad a tight hug and wandered down the hall; leaving the hobbit glancing one last time at the contract before he left to his room.

"Balin, i'll come." Maura stated and the elder dwarf nodded with a smile, causing Thorin turn to him and question him.

"Why did you ask her to come? She is a woman, she could get hurt." Thorin hissed at the dwarf, while the woman continued down the hall to the spare room.

"Thorin, she is a skillful healer, we could use 2 of them with us. It's unfortunate our burglar doesn't have the same high spirit as his aunt." Balin pressed, as he slightly shook his head. Thorin let out a muffled groan. The last thing he wanted was a woman amongst them, the wild was no place for them. Thorin walked passed Balin, into the room with the hearth. They all lit their pipes and Thorin was the first to sing a song about their homeland they had lost.

Maura woke up, hearing this, but it was Thorin's voice she heard the clearest; and his deep voice sent chills down her back as she listened to them before passing out once again.