Chapter Thirty Eight - Reunited

Things had never felt more right then they did now. In the last few days, Maura has spent most of her time with her Dwarf. Spending the day, wandering the castle, listening to Thorin as he told her how he wanted to restore Erebor the way he remembered it.

The King interlocked his fingers with Maura's as they walked down the long corridor, stopping every so often to steal a kiss from each others lips. The two of them paused before the door of the healing chambers. The woman had her back against the stone wall, staring into the Kings intense blue eyes. Thorin held Maura's face in his hands, leaning in to kiss the smile that had crawled onto her face. The Dwarf had never seen her as happy as she was now: with him, alone.

Maura grasped the front of his clothing, pulling him even closer to her, so their was no space between them. Thorin's hands were rough, and calloused due to his long years of being a blacksmith and warrior but neither the less his touch was gentle as he caressed the half-breed's cheeks with his fingers.

Thorin pressed his forehead to Maura's, both breathing heavily. "I have a few things I need to take care of today. I'll see you this evening in the feasting room." He told her, knowing she would be quite occupied throughout the day reading. The woman nodded and leaned forward to kiss the top of his lip. The King pressed his lips to her forehead and left back down the hall. Maura watched until he was gone from her sights and opened the door into the healing room.

The healer had never thought she would ever see such a tender side of Thorin. It made her feel so warm inside. She had to admit, that things she felt with being with the king, she never felt with her husband, Dorgol. Though she would always hold a special place in her heart for her fallen son's husband. Thorin offered her more then she thought she would ever know she could feel with him. Thorin was also quite older then her, even older then her late husband, who was only 8 years different then her. She was only 116 years old. Maura was at the age when one , if one were ever to have a child this was the last age they would ever consider having one.

The woman spent most of her day reading up on the way her kin's healing rituals were preformed. Though the Dwarves and Elves medicine were quite similar in ways, both races had different uses and names for herbs. Maura looked up through the window in the wall and saw that the sun was beginning to set, and knew her companions would be heading to the feasting room at this time for dinner. The healer got up and took the book with her and left the chambers.

Maura strolled down the hall, humming a tune to herself. Completely unaware that Balin and Dwalin had come up behind her from another passage. Dwalin looked at his brother before glancing back at the woman, wondering what had their healer in such a good mood. But even the other's had begun to notice a strange behavior in their King in the last few days. He hadn't even been going down to the treasure hoard, searching for the Arkenstone. It was like he had completely forgotten about it.

Once in the feasting room. Maura took her bowl of hot soup and went and sat at the long table by Bilbo and the two of them would talk about their day. Wondering what the other had been up to. Maura had to admit, she had been feeling super guilty that she hadn't been spending a lot of time with the Hobbit lately, though he didn't seem to mind, but it made him curious, seeing how happy his aunt was. He couldn't remember the last time he had ever seen her smile so much. Thorin entered the room minutes later and took a seat near his men. Both the king and healer kept their distances from each other, when they were with the others. Neither wanted to draw attention, but Dwalin would often catch Thorin drifting off and not listening to a word he said, as he watched the healers lips twitch to reveal that smile he liked to see.

Only Balin seemed to be aware what was going on between they're King and healer, but he wouldn't say anything. He was glad all hope didn't seem lost for the leader. Maybe they didn't have to worry about the sickness taking over him, now that he wouldn't have to be alone in this. Maura got up from the table, not saying a word as she left the feasting room and her companions wondered where she could be off to. Thorin stared at the exit after a few minutes and suddenly stood up from the table.