Chapter Five - Home is Now Behind

It was early the next morning, the light was just coming over the tips of the trees. Maura was up before any of the dwarves. She had to go back to her house to get her medical supplies and some extra clothing for this long journey. She was heading towards the door when someone stepped out from the shadows, causing her to jump.

" Oh, Balin, you startled me." She admitted, as she had a hand over her heart to slow her breathing.

"I'm sorry lass. I didn't mean to startle you. You're up rather early aren't you?" Balin stated. 

"As are you." She said as she pointed to the rest of his comrades still sound asleep snoring. 

"Fair enough. Where are you off too? We aren't leaving at least for a few more hours." The dwarf declared. 

" I have to go and get some of my supplies from my house. I wouldn't be very useful to you all as a healer." She smirked.

"I'll join you, if you would like some company?" He offered her, with a grin.

"That would be wonderful." She said with a grin and the elder dwarf followed the half-breed out of the hobbit's home. Thorin had been listening the entire time the two of them had spoken and his only impression he got was that his(wises friend), was being way too friendly with this strange woman that was now accompanying them on this dangerous quest; thanks to him. The only thing that they knew about her was: she was a healer; though that has yet to be seen. She was born in the Shire and is only half-dwarf and way to cheerful. The prince got up from his spot, once he heard the door shut and wandered over to the window in the kitchen and watch the two of them head down the hill to her house, still talking away and appeared to be laughing and he wondered what the elder dwarf was divulging to her about all of them. 

The young woman opened her door and walked in with the dwarf behind her as he took in his surroundings. Her household was in the same condition as the young hobbit's before they invaded it. Very clean compared to the average dwarf. She grabbed a satchel from her room and began gathering things from cupboards, such as herbs, materials to bind wounds and a few books; if she should come across something she had never healed before. Balin offered to carry her satchel for her and after Maura's many attempts to decline his kind offer, he wouldn't stop and she finally gave in and handed him her bag and he followed her back up the path.

Maura looked up to see the dwarves were up and moving around. Half of the lads were moving the hobbit's furniture back in order on which they had found it when they first arrived, and the rest of them were bringing out their supplies of food, firewood, weapons and tools for cooking and strapping them to their ponies. The half-breed departed ways from Balin and went into the hobbit hole. Thorin immediately went over to the dwarf, scolding him for being to friendly with the woman. The prince was still infuriated his adviser had willingly allowed her to come along with them. He wasn't going to be burdened with the responsibilities of her safety or fate; he made that promise to the wizard, over the hobbit he had saw fit to make as their burglar. The woman was no different, in his mind. 

Balin tried to convince the prince to at least give her a chance to prove her worth, but the leader wouldn't hear of it and he stomped off leaving the elder dwarf behind shaking his head at him in disapproval. The dwarves were starting to mount onto their ponies. Maura was standing at the door; looking inside, with a little hope the hobbit would come squiring down the hall to join them. "Lass are you coming?" Balin's voice asked, interrupting her thoughts of hope. She nodded and shut the door behind her and she climbed on the pony she was given and they were off; the half-breed not looking behind her as they followed the path that would take them out of the Shire and into the world beyond. 

The day went by slowly for the half-breed. She felt guilty for leaving the hobbit alone. Part of her felt as if she was breaking her friend's promise she made. The wizard stayed at her side to keep her company. Gandalf was convinced the woman had nothing to worry about, that the hobbit was going to be joining them soon enough, insisting that the young fellow knew deep down he was a 'Took' that he was just like his aunt and mother. And all Maura could do was hope the wizard was right. 

The sun was high in the sky, the heat boiled them; forcing most of them to remove their cloaks. Maura had moved up further in the group; discussing things with Oin. The woman was interested in knowing more about what herbal remedies he preferred for curing someone of certain wounds, but she found herself disagreeing with him and was sure her way was less riskier and not as harsh. But Oin was not letting up on what he has known his entire life and the dwarves around them, found themselves snickering at the two of them. 

"Wait! Wait!" 

Maura stopped talking and stopped her pony and looked behind her. She couldn't believe it. The wizard was right. The rest of the dwarves had all come to a halt. Thorin slowly turned his mount, looking rather surprised the hobbit had caught up to them on foot. "I signed it!" Bilbo exclaimed, waving the piece of parchment over his head as he came over to Balin who took the contract and gave the hobbit a smile as he inspected it. 

"Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggin's, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield." Balin declared as he winked at the hobbit and the others let out cheers to have their burglar with them. Thorin was not at all pleased to have the frightened little hobbit with them and he let out a deep sigh before speaking.

"Give him a pony."

Bilbo panicked when he heard he would have to ride one of these creatures and began to decline; that he would be more comfortable traveling on foot, but he was soon yanked up in the air by the two young brothers and placed on a pony. The hobbit took the reigns hesitantly not quite sure what he was supposed to do with them. Maura quickly came to his side and instructed him, how to properly hold the reigns; that he had nothing to fear. As the day went on Bilbo found himself more relaxed. 

"Bilbo, I am so happy you came." Maura stated with a grin. "But I must ask, what made you decide to come?" 

"You were right. I have a chance to help others and to see the world. I am a 'Took' " The hobbit stated and she gave him a warm smile and the two of them continued on talking. Eventually the hobbit was joined by the wizard and Maura had went back to discuss things with Oin and Balin; leaving the hobbit to question the wizard, and wonder why he had more faith than any of the dwarves that he would show. 

It was getting later in the day. Thorin had decided they had traveled far enough for one day and ordered the others to set up came and Bombur to prepare supper for them; while Oin and Gloin got a fire going to keep them warm.  

This is my first Hobbit Story. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. I would love to know what you think of it. I own nothing but my character Maura and the text that's not from the movies or books. Happy Reading and I hope to hear what you all think of it.

                                                             ~Mireya Oakenshield~