Chapter Thirty Five - Sorrow Strikes Laketown

Screams. That's all Maura could hear was the terrifying screams of people fearing for their lives as Smaug unleashed his wrath on the town on the lake. The company was now outside, standing on the platform of one of the towers that had a direct view of the town, where all they could do was watch.

The healer had a hand covering her mouth to muffle the cry's she let out as she watched the destruction in front of her. This was all they're fault. The dragon should have never escaped this mountain alive and now Laketown was paying the price for their mistake - including 4 of they're companions.

"Pour souls." Balin's voice broke quietly behind the healer, who still hadn't torn her eyes away. All she could do was think about those two boys, and Bofur and Oin. They most likely were already dead or were soon going to be and the knot in her stomach only grew. "Maura, come away from there. It's best not to watch."

"I have to." She uttered lowly, as Balin came beside her. "They're all dying because of us. And worse we've doomed Fili, Kili, Bofur and Oin to their death's, and we can't even do anything to stop it." She whispered, shaking her head as the tears came down.

"Lass, we don't know that for sure. Their is still a chance they may have escaped." Balin encouraged, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Maura thought about the last time she saw them. Fili argued with his uncle, while Kili looked so ill and didn't look like he would last another day. Oin had decided to stay behind and none of them had any idea what happened to Bofur.

The rest of the company was sitting in silence, waiting for this to end or wondering if the dragon was going to return to finish them off. Maura glanced around and narrowed her eyes, when she couldn't find Thorin, amongst her companions. She came away from the ledge and saw the leader at the bottom of the stairs, staring at the mountain. The woman could imagine how he must be feeling right now. His nephews were trapped in a burning town and could guess, how guilty he had to be feeling at this moment that he had left them behind.

Maura slowly walked down the steps and came to Thorin's side. "Thorin." The Dwarf glanced to his side, slightly startled that he hadn't heard her come down, but his attention was quickly drawn back to the mountain. "Thorin, are you alright?"

"I'm fine..." he sighed heavily.

"Thorin, I know you must be worried about you're nephews, but--"

"They're fine." Thorin interrupted bluntly. Maura furrowed her brows. At first she thought he had only said that because he didn't want to imagine something worse had happened to them, but she realized quickly that, that wasn't the reason at all. He wouldn't even to turn to look at her. His voice had sounded cold and distant and that look he had in his eyes. It was that same look when she had stepped in front of Bilbo, when he had his sword pointed at her heart. Demanding the Arkenstone. The healer then looked from him to the mountain and then back at him.

Suddenly they're was aloud crash and the Dwarves looked towards the lake. " W-what was that? What happened? Ori asked, hesitantly. Maura turned around to listen as the others began talking.

"It fell. I saw it." Bilbo said, remember seeing the dragon just moments ago clawing at the air, struggling to get into the sky when it came crashing back down into the lake. " It's dead. Smaug is dead."

"By my beard, I think he's right! Look there! The ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain." Gloin exclaimed, hearing the cry's of birds flying over.

Thorin finally exhaled the breath he had been holding in for so long since the dragon had first escaped. He would now be able to begin his search without having to worry about the beast return to try and burn them alive.

"Aye. Word will spread. Before long, every soul in Middle Earth will know the dragon is dead!" Balin declared. The Company cheered, hearing Balin's words. The Dwarves had finally won their home back, after all the obstacles they had to overcome, the mountain was finally once again theirs. Maura couldn't help by smile hearing how happy her companions were, when suddenly out of the corner of her eye, she saw something move. Turning around, she saw Thorin begin to make hast down the steps, heading for the gates. Maura couldn't help but feel a pit begin to grow within her. What was happening to him? The healer continued to just stare after him, hoping this odd behavior was only temporary and he would go back to normal when his nephews, Bofur and Oin returned back safely.

The rest of the company were coming down the stairs behind the half-breed and began passing her, as she just stood there.

"You coming lass?" Dwalin asked. Maura snapped out of her daze and looked to see Dwalin looking at her with somewhat a concerning look, though he didn't want to appear looking at her too worriedly. Maura nodded and caught up to Dwalin and the two of them followed behind the others, back into the mountain.