Chapter Thirty Three - Awakening The Beast

The door into the mountain swung open, creating a cloud of dust as it hit the wall. Thorin stood there in awe, taking a minute to let it him. They were finally here. "Erebor." The Dwarf breathed. Balin fought to hide the tears that were trying to force their way out seeing his home once again. Thorin took the first step pass the door. " I know these walls, these halls, this stone." Thorin said, as his hand trailed the walls, memories flooding his mind. " You remember it, Balin. Chambers filled with golden light."

"I remember." Balin agreed, smiling.

The others slowly followed in behind. Thorin had wandered to the end of the hall staring down it, whilst the others stopped to gaze upon an inscription above them. Maura and Bilbo moved into the center of the group to see what they were all looking at. "What does it say?" Maura asked curiously, looking at Balin, but it was Gloin that spoke.

"Herein lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's folk. May the heart of the mountain unite all Dwarves in defense of this home."

"The throne of the king." Balin said giving both Maura and Bilbo a smile.

"And, what's that about it?" Bilbo asked.

"The Arkenstone." The white bearded Dwarf enlightened. The hobbit mouthed the name of the object to himself, but had no idea what it was.

"What's that?"

"That, Master Burglar, is why you are here." Thorin declared. The hobbit looked around surprised to find the others staring at him. His reason for being here was finally needed. Maura looked around to see the others were returning outside, except for Thorin and Balin. "Balin, lead the Burglar to the entrance of the treasure room." Thorin ordered. Maura narrowed her eyes at the Dwarf, when hearing this. She found it odd hearing Thorin referring to Bilbo as 'Burglar'. Maura knew this day was bound to come sooner or later and now that the time was finally here she couldn't bare the thought of the Hobbit going down there alone.

"No. I won't allow it." Maura cried beginning to follow when Thorin grabbed her by the arm.

"Maura no. You can't go down there." Thorin pressed.

"He shouldn't have to go alone." She demanded.

"Maura, if you go down there, the dragon could smell your scent from a mile away. You are part Dwarf, remember?" Thorin reminded. The healer had nearly forgotten the beast's familiarity to scent of Dwarf.

"Aunt Maura. I can do this. I'll be alright." The Hobbit assured, coming up to his aunt, flashing her a smile. Thorin released the woman and she instantly pulled Bilbo into a hug. The Hobbit returned the embrace just as tight and could hear the woman begin to sniffle. " Aunt Maura, please don't cry. I'll be safe, you remember what Gandalf said. The dragon is not familiar with the scent of Hobbit." He awkwardly chuckled. Maura pulled away and instantly wiped the tears away.

"Just promise you'll come back alive." She asked.

Bilbo was quiet for the longest second. Not sure if this was a promise he could keep if the worst should happen. "I promise." He hugged the woman one last time and Thorin led her out to join the others, while Balin led him down the dozen of tunnels.

Minutes had gone by before Balin returned outside, alone. "How was he?" Maura asked in concern.

"I believe he'll be fine lass." He assured, giving her a smile that was a mix of both sympathetic and understanding. Maura had been staring off in Thorin's direction for the longest time, unaware that Balin had been watching the entire time.

"He cares about you, you know?" Balin said, causing her to turn and look at him. The truth was she knew for awhile now that the Dwarf had feelings for her, even before his attempt to nearly kiss her. His attitude towards her had changed so much to the point that it was making her confused.

"I know." she admitted, turning her gaze away from Thorin and stared at the ground below her.

"And do you feel the same way?" He asked next. Maura had been fighting with this very question herself for some time. She knew deep down, Thorin had made her feel things, she never imagined she would feel again but it was something different she felt for Thorin than what she felt for her dead husband. Thorin was not the same Dwarf that he was when she first met him in Bilbo's home. He had changed so much since that day and was there for her when she was feeling weak. Balin could see she was still trying to figure that out for herself and gave her a knowing smile. " Don't wait too long to tell him lass." Balin then left the healer to speak with his brother.

The healer looked over at Thorin to see him pacing back and forth like something was weighing heavily on his mind. Maybe it was time she showed Thorin she was there for him, like he had been for her. What ever it was he wouldn't have to face it alone. Maura took a deep breath and began walking towards Thorin. When she was halfway across the platform, the mountain shook violently, causing the woman to stumble backwards into Bifur.

"Was that an earthquake?" Dori asked nervously.

"No. That was no earthquake." Balin began turning to look at his companions. " That, my lad, was a dragon."