Chapter Forty Five - Staying Behind

Thorin left the healing chamber to find Dwalin and the others, hoping they would still follow him this one last time. Maura was sitting on top of the table, staring at the ground. Her Thorin was back, but she struggled with the truth. She couldn't exactly pretend everything Thorin had done, didn't happen. She still could feel the Dwarf's hand around her throat, crushing her airway. His taunts he made at her. They way he treated Bilbo? The others? How could she just forgive him for that? And could she ever forgive him for it? What if it happened again, if she should stay with him? She didn't want to leave him. She still loved him, but with all this uncertainty in the air she didn't know anymore.

The healer pushed herself off the table and left the chambers. She wasn't going to let her friends face this evil on there own. She was probably going to die anyways. Lord Elrond's gift has never been wrong before. Maura headed down the hall, towards the gate when she heard Kili shouting.

"I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battle for us! It is not in my blood Thorin."

"No. It is not." Thorin said lowly, placing a hand on his youngest nephews shoulder. "We are sons of Durin. And Durin's folk do not flee from a fight." Maura was just coming into view behind Thorin, with Dwalin right beside her. The healer saw the smile that came across the young Dwarf's face as well as everyone else's. Their leader had returned. His mind no longer lusting over the gold, but filled with determination to do what was right. The king walked over to the rest of his kin. Kili saw the woman and hugged her and apologized for the things he said to her.

"If you decide to do this. Understand. You may not return. I have no right to ask this of any of you, but will you follow me one last time?" The Dwarf king felt a hand clasp his shoulder and his head turned to the side.

"Lead on," Dwalin told him. Thorin looked back to the others as they all stood up, with their swords and axes raised in the air. Ready to fight by their leader's side, once more. First they were going to have to break down the gate. Climbing down the rope would take too much time. The company looked around for something they could use to crumble the stone wall and saw a huge bell lying on the ground and got to work.

Maura was standing by what remained of a stone table, with a weapon in her hand. Thorin saw his men were all set. He did one last look around his home when he spotted the healer. He realized, she was probably thinking she was going with them. Thorin rubbed a hand over his face and placed his sword down on the table beside him and walked over to the young woman.

The healer looked up when she heard heavy footsteps coming in her direction. " Thorin I don't like this. Thorin I don't like this at all." Her voice broke. " All of you could get hurt....or worse."

"Shh."Thorin placed his hands on either side of her shoulders, trying to keep her calm. " I don't have a choice Maura. I'm ending this now."

"Then I'm coming with you." She declared, raising her sword when Thorin caught her hand that was wrapped around the handle.

"No. You're not. Maura I've risked your life too many times. I will not put you in any further danger. You must stay here, where it is safe." The king told her, taking the sword out of her hand and laying it on the stone table behind her.

"But Bilbo is still out there! I have to find him." She argued. Tears threatening to escape.

"Maura. I promise you: you will see Bilbo again. Alive. But I am asking you to stay here." He begged her. He slowly raised his hand to caress her soft cheek. " Maura...I don't know what I would do if something happened to you out there. All I care about is knowing your safe.

The healer couldn't contain her tears that came down her face. She squeezed her eyes shut and looked at the ground. " Please don't cry, Maura. Haven't you shed enough tears from all the pain I caused you." The woman buried herself in her Dwarf's chest. He wrapped his arms around her stroking her hair.

"I'm coming with you." She said lowly. Thorin pulled her away from him, his hands still clasping her shoulders.

"No!" He yelled at her and he cursed himself quietly, and was back to talking to her in his calm voice. " Maura. You are no sword fighter. You wouldn't last five minutes out there. You're a healer. I need you here to look after the wounded." The others all turned when they heard Thorin raise his voice at the young woman.

Thorin. I'm going to die anyways." She muttered.

The king shook his head and cupped her face in his hands so she was looking him right in the eyes. " Maura. You are not going to die. Not like this and not anytime soon. I don't care what that stupid Elf in Rivendell told you! He is wrong."

"You're going to come back to me alive, right. Right?"

"Maura... It doesn't matter what happens to me-"

"It matters to me. You matter to me. All of you do." She cried. The Dwarf wiped the tears from her face making them lock eyes and he closed off the tiny space between them, claiming her lips. He rested hid forehead against the healers.

"No matter what happens. I love you." The Dwarf king whispered. Kissing her forehead one last time before leaving her side. Maura let a low gasp escape her lips as she watch Thorin walk over to the others picking his sword up. His men all give him looks and his expression was just daring them to say something.

Bombur was in position on the wall, holding a trumpet to notify their kin they were coming to aid them. Bofur, Gloin, Bifur and Nori were holding the rope, that was tied to the bell so when they release the rope it would swing right into the gate, and smash it down. Thorin glanced at his nephews, he could tell they were still disappointed and angry at him for the way he treated the healer. If they survived this. He would do everything possible to earn their forgiveness.

The Dwarves heard the sound of the enemies horn blowing just outside the wall, the thundering steps of the giant beast coming closer. The king nodded for Bombur to blow the horn. Bofur, Bifur, Gloin and Nori released the rope and the bell smashed into the wall, crumbling it to the ground. Thorin led the charge out of the mountain. The Dwarves of the Iron Hills cleared a path for their kin.

"TO THE KING! TO THE KING!" Dain shouted to his troops.

Thorin raised his sword over his head, ready to slice into the first Orc that crossed his path. " Du Bekâr!" The Iron Hills soilders join in the charge and begin smashing and slicing their way through the ranks of Orcs.