Chapter Twenty One - The Fierce Giant, With A Soft Heart

The sun beamed in through the windows of the skin changers home. Maura squinted her eyes from the brightness that shined right on her and she rolled onto her side. Once on her side, the healer saw she appeared to be alone and she sat up wondering where they all could have gone. The woman got up and walked passed all the pens, towards the kitchen, where she could hear a few of the dwarves bickering back and forth to each other as they looked upon the host of this home.

"Don't blame me!" Dori shouted.

"We should never have come here." Gloin stated, a few muttering their agreements. The wizard had led them to their death as some saw it.

"It was a mistake! I said this myself." Another pressed.

"Well, I say we should leg it. Slip out the back way." Nori suggested, as he came into the center of the bunched up dwarves.

Dwalin suddenly pushed his way through and grabbed Nori. "I'm not running from anyone, beast or no beast." The dwarf growled. Nori was about to protest when the wizard stepped in.

"There is no point in arguing. We cannot pass through the wilderland without Beorn's help. We'll be hunted down before we ever get to the forest." Gandalf informed and Maura joined the group coming to Bilbo's side. " Ah Maura, my dear. There you are. It's good to see you up and walking around." the wizard praised, a small smile forming on his face. The healer slowly returned the smile, but it never reached her eyes, and it faded just as quickly when she saw the dwarf prince glancing at her. " Now, this will require some delicate handling." He began, as he made his way through the group over to the back door. "We must tread very carefully. The last person to have startled him was torn to shreds."

Every dwarf looked at one another in either shock or fear. What was this wizard thinking? Why would he lead them to someone who wouldn't even think twice about shredding them all to tiny pieces. The company began murmuring their protests against the old man's idea of staying here to ask for the giant man for his help, they'd rather take their chances in the wild alone. Gandalf quickly hushed them. " I will go first and--Bilbo? You come with me" he ordered, beckoning him to come forward.

"What?! No! Bilbo is not going out there." Maura growled at the wizard. " I won't allow it." The healer flinched at the burning sensation that came from her neck injury.

"Lass, how many times do I have to tell you that yelling is only going to make it worse." Oin pressed, giving the woman a disappointed look. Thorin raised an eyebrow when he caught the half-breed rolling her eyes.

"Aunt Maura, I'll be fine. I promise." Bilbo assured the woman, giving her hand a squeeze. Maura glared at the wizard, and then finally nodded for the hobbit to go with him.

"Now, the rest of you, you just wait here...and don't come out until I give the signal." The wizard pressed, starting to walk out the door.

"Right. Wait for the signal." Bofur repeated, feeling unsure about this as he peered through the window at their host as he slammed his axe through another log; slicing it in half.

"Oh, and no sudden move or loud noises and don't overcrowd him." The old man added, giving them all a serious look. "And only come out in pairs. No actually, Bombur. You count as two so you should come out alone. Remember: wait for the signal." He reminded a final time before he and Bilbo went to approach their host and hope they would not get torn to shreds in the process.

"What signal is that?" Bofur suddenly asked, realizing a little to late that the wizard hadn't said how he would signal for them to start coming out.

The healer moved over to the back door, watching as the wizard and hobbit slowly approach the giant man. " Are you alright?" Thorin asked, as he came beside her.