Chapter Twenty Two - Interrogations

The company was up especially early the next morning. Loading the ponies with the plenty of supplies Beorn had been generous enough to give them. The dwarves were busy going back and forth to the house carrying the bags, while Maura was outside speaking with their host.

"Thank you again, Beorn. For allowing myself, Bilbo, the wizard and these dwarves to stay in your beautiful home." Maura stated graciously as she gave the skin-changer a bow. Beorn took the woman's hand and led her outside.

"You are always welcome in my home, Lady Maura. I wish you were not leaving so soon." Beorn said. The healer gave him a knowing smile. "Must you go on with them?"

"I'm afraid I must. I am needed in this company and I can't abandon them now." The healer declared.

This quest your on, is quite dangerous for a young woman like yourself." The skin-changer stressed as he looked over the woman's shoulder to see the dwarf prince watching the both of them with a glare. " Someone, can't seem to keep his eyes off you. Has he always been this protective of you?" Beorn asked. Maura narrowed her eyes, wondering who the man was speaking of and she turned around to catch Thorin, just turning away from them.

Maura let out a awkward chuckle as she faced the skin-changer once again. "Thorin's not being protective, he's being suspicious and doesn't think I should trust you." The healer admittted.

"Hmm...that might be, but I think part of him does indeed care for you. Even if he's not willing to admit it. You can tell by the way he watches you." Beorn indicated and the half-breeds eyes widen at that silly notion. 'Thorin having feelings for her? That couldn't be.'

"Maura. We must be going." Thorin called out, as the dwarves began mounting onto their ponies. The skin-changer walked with the young woman over to the ponies and lifted her up and placed her on the back of Midnight.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, lady Maura. Please come back to visit me soon." Beorn said as he held out her hand and placed a kiss on it. Thorin cursed under his breath at the man's friendliness towards, their woman companion. It irked him, when any male of any race, spoke in such manner towards her and it finally occurred to him, why did he suddenly care? She wasn't his, but yet he felt the need to protect her from it.

The skin-changer left to speak with the wizard and the healers smile slowly faded. She knew their was no chance she would ever find herself passing this way again. What Lord Elrond had told of her future, made that clear if she should continue on this path and she still couldn't bring herself to tell anyone, not even one she held so dear. She didn't want to lay such a burden on anyone. Maura glanced over to see Bilbo climbing onto his pony that carried some of the supplies and she smiled over at him as he got comfortable with his mount, glad to see he no longer felt terrified of these peaceful creatures.

The healer heard approaching footsteps and she looked to her side to see the dwarf prince standing by her. "Whats wrong?" She finally asked.

"I'll ride with you." Thorin simple stated. Maura raised an eyebrow and looked around to the others. All the available ponies were occupied by a member of the company, some even already had two because their weren't enough ponies.

"I can ride with Bilbo." Maura quickly replied, but her expression soon fell when she saw the hobbit's pony was pretty full with some of their satchels, leaving absolutely no room for her to join him and she grumbled under her breath. Thorin climbed onto the animal and took the reigns from the healer and they patiently waited for the wizard to join them.

"Gandalf! Time is wasting." Thorin shouted over to the wizard, indicating they should get a move on, before Azog and his pack showed up. Maura watched as the two men appeared to be having a serious-intense discussion when suddenly birds came squawking in the trees, even the ponies were growing nervous, sensing the threat that wasn't too far behind.

The wizard joined them immediately and climbed onto his horse and the company nudged their mounts to get going and they made hast across the land. Once they felt they were far enough ahead they slowed the ponies down, to give them a bit of a rest.

"What did you two talk about?" Thorin suddenly spoke up.

Maura had been quiet since they left the skin-changers home. The ride was uncomfortable, her back was right up against Thorin's firm chest and she could feel his breath on the side of her face.

"Why? You worried I told him something?" Maura challenged.

"No." Thorin answered, slightly annoyed.

"Then why? Do you not trust me?"

"I trust you...it's him I don't really trust." Thorin admitted and the woman burst out laughing.

"Thorin. I assure you. You have nothing to worry about Beorn. He is harmless." Maura assured, waiting for his response. " And what is you're problem anyways with him. He has helped us so much and you act like he's the enemy."

"I didn't like the way he kept looking at you! Alright!" Thorin growled and instantly wished he hadn't said out loud his thoughts and the woman scuffed at that nonsense.

"Looking at me like what?" She questioned sternly.

" You know what. Never mind. Forget I even said that." Thorin grumbled. Maura rolled her eyes and muttered at his insinuations. The rest of the ride was in silence, as they continued across the land.

The wizard was in the lead and slowly came to halt in front of an ill looking forest. Gandalf was already off his horse and walking along the brick covered walk way. The dwarves were still on their ponies waiting for the old man to indicate that they had come to right place.

"Here lies our path through Mirkwood."