THIRTY SIX : Cheers

It was quarter past five in the afternoon and the sun was already starting to set. I was lying on a beach towel right on the warm sand, staring at the cloudless, purple sky.

Dusk really was the magic hour. I loved how the lights twinkled gently against the still light sky, and the warm glow it gave off. There is always a certain stillness during this part of the day that made me feel content.

I let out a relaxed sigh, as I heard the sand crunch under the weight of footsteps getting closer and closer.

"Hello." A voice said. A male voice.

I wasn't sure if the greeting was meant for me, but the man from which the voice came cemented that fact by sitting down next to the towel I was laying on. I felt my cheeks burn a bit, more from anxiety. My mind reeling, I propped myself up on my elbows,

"Hello yourself," I said, in the coolest tone I could muster.

I looked at him, he had very freckled skin, taught under a VERY toned body, to my horror, he was only wearing board shorts, so I had a full view of his abs, splayed out in all their glory, his hair was an ocean-bleached blond mop of unruly curls that brought out his warm brown eyes. He smiled at me, showing off his slightly janky, I-don't-wear-my-retainer-enough, but perfectly white teeth.

"I'm Xander..." He said, with an accent I suspected was Australian. "First time in Catanduanes?" He asked.

Totally unprepared, I nodded and shook his hand for about two seconds before saying, " I'm Stella."

Oh God, Lauren, what have you done.

"Nice to meet you Stella." Xander replied, "When did you get in?"

"Uhmm," I stuttered as I surreptitiously took out my phone and SOS'd my sisters,

CUTE BOY TALKING 2 ME. I M PANICKING. PUNCH ME. SUM1 COME GET ME NOW. CALL ME STELLA.

*send*

"Just this morning..with my family." I said, hiding my phone back in my bag.

Xander shifted his weight a bit and looked like he wanted to ask me more things, but he got distracted by the sound of someone running, and a shrill screech ringing through the air,

"STELLAAAAAA! OH, STEEELLAAAA!!"

OH SWEET BABY CHEESES. THANK GOD.

It was Dani.

"Oh, there you are, Stella!" Dani said, putting emphasis on my fake name. "Come on, we need you at the cottage." She said, her tone urgent.

"Oh!" I said, much too eagerly as I stood up and picked my things up from the ground. "Sorry, duty calls. It was nice to meet you though." I glanced at him. He stood up as well and helped me with my beach towel.

"Well, see you around, Stella.." He said, Dani waved at him and pulled me away.

When she was sure that he was out of earshot, she talked to me, "So Stella, what was that all about?"

"SHUT UP, YOU." I said, my cheeks lighting up.

Dani laughed hysterically.

Walking back to Dani and Christina's cottage, I was greeted by my other sisters with heckling and teases.

"Oh watch out, here comes Stella!" Christina said to the others.

"Why Stella? Are you some sort of british royalty or something?" Lisa added.

"Okay, you rats. That's enough.." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Major brain fart, Laur.." Amy said,