i scream and wave my arms but you don't understand me

Luke stares at Michael from across the room, but it seems like the older boy has no idea. He keeps laughing at things Alex Gaskarth (!!) says, and Michael seems cool, he's talking smoothly to the Alex Gaskarth and he's not freaking out about it, his voice isn't shaking, he doesn't even seem nervous. Luke's jealous of both Alex Gaskarth himself and the way Michael isn't freaking the fuck out.

Michael never even glances at Luke, he's looking around at everyone in the room but him, it's painful. Luke's not saying much, there's nothing for him to say, except the occasional add in about a song they're writing.

"We could have some part about hooking up with hot girls," Calum grins, and Luke feels like sinking into the couch.

"Luke, you should know about that, right?" Michael asks, a smirk on his face as he stares back at Luke for the first time in a few days. "Wait, never mind, you're gay as hell. Ash, you got a ton of stories, right?"

The guys all laugh, and Michael's already done staring at him, he's focused on listening to Ashton. Luke's heart is burning, along with his flushed cheeks, and he wants to hide and never see Michael or the incredibly cool Alex Gaskarth ever again. Michael purposely embarrassed the hell out of him in front of the coolest dude in the world, but yet that's not why Luke's close to tears.

"Luke, you okay?" Alex asks, sitting down close to his right side, and Luke nods, shaken up a bit. He didn't see Alex get up and walk towards him, and he can't speak to say he's okay. "You sure? What's wrong?"

"N-nothing," Luke mumbles, stuttering embarrassingly, but it's still not as embarrassing as Michael making fun of him.

"I'll get you some water, you look hot," Alex says, and before Luke can protest, he's getting up and leaving the room. Luke looks over at Michael, who's glancing up at Ashton and writing things inside the band notebook. It's almost like he doesn't care about Luke, he's ignoring and doing a damn good job of it. Luke stands up, slowly making his way to the kitchen. He smiles weakly at Alex and accepts the glass of ice water, taking a large gulp of it. "What's bothering you?"

"Michael," Luke sighs, glancing down and biting his lip kind of shyly. "He's just being an ass."

"Was it because he said you're gay? Because that is really rude of him, I can talk to him and get him to stop calling you gay if you're not-"

"It's fine, I am gay, I just- he promised not to tell anyone and I trusted him. I'm just upset, it's nothing," Luke tries to make it seem like he doesn't really care that much, but when he looks back at Alex, he can tell that he know there's something going on between Michael and him.

"The other day he showed me a song he wrote," Alex says, and Luke confused because he didn't expect him to change the subject. "He said it's about you."

"I don't care about him anymore, I don't wanna deal with him," Luke says, setting the glass down on the counter and going back to the couch to sulk and stare at Michael. He sinks down next to Calum this time, he's closer to Michael, but he's craving Calum's soft hands because he knows Michael won't rub his sides or run his fingers through his hair in front of anybody.

"Hey, Luke," Calum murmurs, and just like Luke hoped, one arm wraps around him and sneaks underneath his shirt so he can rub his thumb against Luke's skin. Luke glances at Michael, who's now got an acoustic guitar in his hand and listening to John Feldmann tell him chords.

Luke scowls and buries his head in Calum's shoulder.

~

"He's just mad cause I basically told Alex he's gay," Luke can hear Michael saying smugly to Ashton. "He should be happy. I bet they're gonna hook up sometime."