Chapter 28

~Day 18~
"Come on Ronnie, let's go back to the shelter. It's no use." Liam said calmly from behind me, as I frantically looked around the trees for more food. I didn't want to quit looking, we were going to die if we didn't have food.

I gave in though, following him back quietly. The one time I had tried to be optimistic the entire time out here, ended in failure.

Liam saw the look of disappointment on my face when he turned around, so he stopped, waiting for me to catch up. Once I was walking next to him, he pulled an arm around me and grasped my arm.

"We're going to be ok. I'll go see if I can catch some more fish." He said reassuringly, trying to convince me there was a another way to get enough food.

I nodded my head in response, trying to convince myself everything was going to be ok. But then again, who had been the pessimist the entire time? Me.

We walked back towards the shelter, Liam sitting down next to the closest tree in the shade, tired from our walk. I followed suit sitting down next to him as he laid his head up against the tree.

We sat there next to the tree, listening to our stomachs growl from craving food. It hadn't rained since the storm, meaning our fresh water supply was almost dry. But it was too far to walk to anyways, and we didn't have enough energy.

I sat there, looking out to the ocean hearing Liam shuffle around every once in awhile.

"Liam?" I asked quietly awhile later, not getting a response back meaning he had fallen asleep. "The one time I wanted to say something." I grumbled, rolling my eyes and snuggling up into his shoulder more.

Two and a half weeks we had been stranded on the island. We ran out of fruit, the radishes were all gone, and ever since that shark had made its appearance, the fish weren't near shore. Meaning that Liam couldn't catch a thing and now we were out of all of our food sources.

Liam and I had gone two days without food now and were starting to feel the side affects like a brick wall. We had both collapsed next to this tree whilst walking, needing to get out of the sun and off our feet.

It took energy to do anything, to the point where Liam had fallen asleep from pure energy deprivation in the middle of the day. I had just tried to speak for the first time in like thirty minutes, not getting a response because he was out.

My foot wasn't healing. The wound kept being opened whenever I tried to walk, making it a hassle to get around the island without pain. I would only let Liam carry me over the sand, it took too much of his energy and I didn't want him collapsing every minute from having to carry me around everywhere.

On our last day with food, we made it a mission to gather as much wood, brush, and stones as we could to make as many fires as possible in hopes of a helicopter.

Those fires were now running on day three and we were almost out of wood. But we were too tired to go find anymore. Looking for more food today was tiring enough.

After looking out into the ocean and seeing the shark fin dip out one more time, I decided to shut my eyes and try to cope with the lack of food like Liam.

"I know mom put us here for a reason, I just hope she planned a way out." I whispered, leaning my head on his shoulder.

The sound of thrashing trees and sand gusts woke me up. When I opened my eyes I was immediately blinded by sand, being thrown at us every direction. The wind had really picked up.

I moved myself out from underneath Liam's arm that had been draped over my head, hearing a loud motor.

I opened my eyes slightly to see what the noise was without being blinded again when I saw a giant helicopter above us.