Chapter 29

~Day 1~
As we looked out the window, we finally saw land come into view almost two hours later. The pilots began flipping a bunch of switches for landing and calling back to base to inform them of their location.

Liam and I had slumped over on each other, still exhausted from lack of food. The pilots had given us three bottles of water each but weren't allowed to give us any food till the doctors checked us out at the base.

"Prepare for landing!" The pilots said, waking us up a bit from our daze. Even with the loud noise of the helicopter we had both found a way to fall asleep. We sat up a bit, preparing for landing but barely had enough energy to do that.

As we landed I could hear a loud commotion from outside. The co-pilot stood up and opened the helicopter door revealing about 10 nurses in Air Force uniforms and two hospital beds on wheels. The two male nurses immediately hopped up into the helicopter, unbuckling me from my chair and pulling me out.

The men laid me down on one of the stretchers as a nurse immediately entered an IV into my arm making me yelp in pain. But soon enough I was calmed by the comfortable confines of the bed. I had gone almost three weeks sitting and sleeping on the ground and I felt like I was laying on top of a cloud.

"No, she's the one who's hurt. Look at her foot!" Liam yelled from the helicopter as the nurses tried to put him on the bed. Next thing I knew I was being wheeled away from the helicopter by the five nurses around me.

"Liam! It's ok! Just do what they say!" I yelled as loud as I could, trying to make sure he heard me over the helicopter. I saw him stop his gestures towards me as he gave in, letting the nurses put him on the bed, obviously feeling the affects of yelling and using his body too much.

The nurses around me wheeled me into the base quickly and into a room where all of them immediately began changing me out of what was left of my uniform and into hospital gown. The lights were very bright, making me squint my eyes until I got used to them.

"Hi miss, my name is Nurse Nat. Can you please tell me your name and birthday?" She asked sternly, as I nodded my head slowly, just wanting to fall asleep on the bed from using my energy to yell to Liam.

"Cameron Woods, and April 5th." I replied quietly as she wrote some stuff down.

"Ok dear, when was the last time you drank and ate?" She asked, as the other nurses hooked me up to a bunch of machines.

"We had some water on the helicopter but I haven't eaten for two days." I replied, closing my eyes and laying my head against the bed.

"We need you to stay awake Cameron. Open your eyes." She said, making me groan and reopen them. All I wanted was to fall asleep on this bed. "The doctor will be in any second to check you over."

I mumbled a response, angry I couldn't just fall asleep. "Where's Liam?" I asked, most of it mumbled, trying to get my mind off how tired I was. I kept my eyes partially shut since the nurse had left the room.

"He's in another room getting checked up." One of the nurses replied as she finished unwrapping my foot from our made-up bandage. I opened my eyes fully to look down at my foot and scanned my entire body.

Noticing how dirty I was compared to the white sheets, a look of disgust appeared on my face. "When will I be able to take a shower?" I asked desperately, knowing I finally had the luxurious option.

"Once the doctor clears you from all of your injuries." She replied again, discarding the bandage. A few moments later the doctor appeared in the doorway wearing a white lab coat.

"Hello there Ms. Woods, I'm Dr. Bradford, I'm pleased you've been returned to safety." He introduced, coming over and shaking my hand which I could barely lift.