Chapter 34: Figuring it Out

So...found this image and thought it was super creepy and awesome. Enjoy.

Had this done for a few days now but didn't know if I should stop it early or not, so sorry it's not normal 1000 words length.

Percy's P.O.V

"So, this was unexpected," I commented as I held the clock closer to me.

Dean snorted while Sam had this sort of bitch-face going on as they both flicked off the safety on their guns.

After a few seconds passed, I noticed that none of the gnomes were actually moving, only staring at the clock.

Feeling slightly foolish, I moved it above my head and watched as the gnome's eyes followed it, when I moved it lower their eyes kept following it.

"Dude, they're like dogs with treats," Dead muttered to his brother but I heard it anyway.

Wondering what was so special about the clock, I opened the glass case and watched as the gnome's tensed.

Blinking at the pendulum that normally swings back and forth with the seconds of the clock stood stock still as the clock ticked on.

Wondering why it wasn't moving, I saw a small hatch lock on the side of the metal circle. I unhatched the two metal pieces and opened the pendulum to see a digital timer in the center.

Only, instead of containing four digits. There were five labels. Years, days, hours, minutes, seconds. For some reason though; instead of containing numbers underneath it, it held the word "Unknown."

Confused, I handed it to Bobby to take a look at, only for the unknown to suddenly change into a time.

I blinked wondering what the hell this clock was, and why there were five labels. That was, until I recalled the prophecy. "As time will tell when they end."

Suddenly, that part of the prophecy made more sense as I slowly stepped toward the unmoving gnomes who suddenly started to watch me instead of the clock.

"You were looking for the clock. Not because of the pieces inside of it, but rather for what the clock told you of your fate."

"Uh, anyone else confused at what the hell he's talking about?" I heard Dean ask Bobby and Sam in a whisper tone.

I slowly moved toward one of the gnomes and slowly knelt in front of him. "You want to see how much longer your race will survive without Gaea aren't you?" I asked quietly.

Slowly, the gnome took off his blue hat and then suddenly bowed to me. Other gnomes were following quickly, all taking off their blue hat and bowing to me.

"You are worthy," the one in front of me chanted. It caused the other gnomes to suddenly repeat it before a full blown chant of "You are worthy." was going all around us.

Quickly, I raised a hand to silence them and was surprised when they did so. "What am I worthy of?" I asked the gnome in front of me who seemed to be some type of leader.

"You are worthy of fighting The Defenders." The gnome suddenly looked distressed as he said 'The Defenders' as he pulled on his ears.

"Who are these Defenders?" I quickly asked as I made the gnome pull his hands away from his red ears that were straining from being pulled hard.

"They are ruthless. They take gnome's food and make orphans. They be killing our race slowly." The gnome was pulling at his ears again as he sounded so distressed.

But that wasn't what I was focused on. I could feel my jaw clenched and my hands tighten into a fist. If there was one thing I hated, it was when one race took from another race and started to slowly kill them.

Looking into the gnome's eyes, he suddenly relaxed and bowed once more. "You are worthy of helping us. Please help us."

Suddenly chants of, "Please help us." rang through the forest and I could tell they were all desperate.

I calmly stood up and gave them a smile. "I do believe I have a general idea of what the prophecy means now," I muttered to myself before loudly saying, "I will help you. I don't know about my friends though."

I glanced at the hunters and saw they having a staring contest with one another before Bobby rolled his eyes at the two younger men. "Like hell I would miss this fight, I ain't dead yet. Got a few months left on me according to this ugly clock."

I felt pleased that the hunters would join the gnomes and I fighting this unknown creature. Castiel sure knows how to pick some friends.