Chapter 5

It was 1 am when I felt a soft squeeze. I must have fallen asleep around 10 or 11 pm my hand still clutched to hers, maybe I was dreaming… I force my eyes open to make sure that I’m not dreaming anymore. Just as I opened my eyes I felt the squeeze and saw Spence fingers move. This was happening, really happening. Oh dear bananas what do I do?
“Spence...” I said softly and calm to assure her that I am here, as I press the nurse’s button to attend to us. “… everything is going to be ok, Spence. I am here with you…” I saiid when the nurse walks in. “miss Carter is everything alright?” the nurse asked me. “Yes, I think so, uhm actually its Spencer she squeezed my hand a few times and her eyes are open, I think she might have woken up, maybe we should get the doc..” I said unsure why Spencer’s eyes are shut again.
“Emily are you sure she still looks asleep and her monitors are still the same?” the nurse asked as if she thought I woke up from a dream. “Yes I am sure… 100% sure.” I said kind of irritated that she didn’t believe me but I know she is just doing her job. “alright then let me call the Dr Khan, she is in the hospital as we speak(on call} and then I will contact   Collins as she is not on call tonight but gave instruction to contact her in an invent like this.” The nurse said and walked out the room.
“water… please my I have some water” the croaky voice said. I froze for a second, jip I couldn’t believe it so I just stared at Spence when she asked for water again that shook me back to reality. I gave her some water and just stared at her as her eyes roamed the room, was she confused? Did she know where she was? Who she was? What happened? My mind filled with all these questions but it was soon interrupted when Dr Khan entered the room.
“Miss Carter I am Dr Lelanie Khan, Dr Collins and I are partners in our joint firm so I know all about Miss Malherbe’s case. The nurse told me what happened. I am now going to examine Miss Malherbe so please can I ask you  to stand over there for me.” Dr Khan said and pointed to the chair against the wall at the door. She gave me an reassuring smile and I did as she asked leaving her to do her work.
“Spencer, I am Dr Lelanie Khan, do you know where you are? She said as she took her hand and gently squeezed it as she said calmly. Spencer looked around again and stopped with her eyes on the monitor and nodded her head ‘yes’. “Do you know what your name is?” the Dr asked with a lot of hope in her voice. “Spencer Malherbe.” She said again with that croaky voice. My heart was beating so hard... I didn’t know if I was nervous or happy or relieved… this is great news that she remembered and could answer the questions, right?
Dr Collins came into the room and they asked me to wait in the waiting room, this just made my nerves worse so I decided to call my aunt and uncle they ought to know what happened tonight.
When I got off the phone Dr Collins stood in front of me wearing one huge Colgate smile… relief washed over me as she explained to me the miracle again and that she cant believe Spencer doesn’t have memory loss and that she is a real fighter. They have to run more tests and get her in to rehabilitation.

Just then my uncle and aunt walked in and I explained everything to them. We all were so happy and went straight to her room to keep her company and tell her exactly how much we loved and missed her and the miracle that she is.