Chapter 10

The shop is as comfy and homey and warm as I remember it to be. Spencer wanted it to make the customers feel like they really taking a break from work on their lunch and recharge. She loved this shop with all her soul and I hope I can keep her legacy going.

The regulars are getting to know me and they are starting to warm up to me and the idea that I’m the new owner. The smell of coffee, cake, food and home made me never want to leave this place at night.

*DING* I love the sound of the doorbell when people comes in. I don’t know why, maybe because we all started feeling like a family and the customers were always friendly.

Just as I delivered a nice creamy cup chino to one of my favourite customers, (she was an older lady probably in her late 50’s, she was so warm.) I saw a man in a suit sitting on a table across from Mrs Meyers. As I turn to ask for his order, I realised it was Mr Hanne.
“Mr Hanne, its only 12:30 we don’t have a meeting until another 30min.” I said shocked to see him here a half hour earlier. “Miss Carter, why are you in waiters clothes? I did offer you a better job.” He said shocked seeing me in the coffee deli shops’ clothes. I giggled, “Mr Hanne, I’m not a waiter, I own this shop.” I said with a proud smile thinking about Spencer.

“You bought Spencer Malherbe’s shop?” he asked shocked. I nodded my head. “Wow, I’m speechless. Uu… congratulations. Where is Spencer now? Did she move to another town?” he asked still confused.

I gestured to the seat across him, and he nodded that it’s fine if I sit with him. My face dropped, he knew Spencer but not what happened. “Mr Hanne…” I started but he broke me off. “Emily we are not in a meeting now so you can call me Sam.” He said gently as if he was my friend.

I smiled softly. “Sam, I… umm it’s actually weird to tell you this as I didn’t know you knew Spencer. But, Spencer was in an accident..” I said feeling the tears pricking at my eyes. “I knew she was in accident, and the surgery.” He said hope in his eyes. “Sam, Spencer, she passed away.” I said now tears running down my cheeks. He reached out and touch my hand. Looking up at him I saw the tears in his eyes as well. What was he to Spencer? “How did you know Spencer?” he asked with a croaky voice. “She was my cousin, actually more like sister as we were the only kids in our family. And she left this deli to me” I said as tears stream down my face. He look sympathetically at me and gave me his hanky to dry my tears.

“I’m sorry…” I huffed as I wiped away the tears and gave a weary smile. “Thank you. How did you know Spence?” I asked now curious.

“I were a business partner in the beginning when she started this business. She struggled and when one day when I came in here she was sitting behind the desk tears streaming down her face as she read a letter. And when I asked her if she was ok and I quote, ‘I’m dandy thanks’ and had this huge smile as she wiped away her tears. And believe me she tried hard to show that nothing was wrong so as a gentleman I didn’t want to pry so I ordered my coffee and a chock chip muffin..” he said thinking back. “I didn’t picture you as a chock chip muffin type. You’re such a powerful man, so professional.” I said as I giggled a bit. Yes, giggle I’m a girl we giggle.

“Everyone can do with a bit of chocolate, and what better way to eat it than in a muffin with your coffee.” He said lifting his left eye brow and a smile. I just laugh and waited for him to go on.

“So she made my coffee and the next moment the smoke alarm went off. She excused herself and ran to the back, and when she didn’t come out again after 5 min. I walked to the back to see if she was ok, and there she was laughing then crying and when she saw me she just shook her head with laughter and then she started crying and didn’t stop. I went to her and asked her what really was going on. She told me that the bank wants to take the shop back like reposes and that she didn’t want to ask her parents for money out her trust as she wants to prove to the family she can make a success and not go to study for a lawyer. So I opted to become a business partner as I liked her she had the same passion in her like my belated daughter had and I kind of took her under my wings and helped her out.

Long story short she waltz into my office and I thought she just brought my usual lunch like she did everyday… and she gave me this huge box with a check in it and bought my half of the shop back with interest. I never wanted the money back but she insisted. Bless her soul. She was so pure and so passionate I couldn’t say no. and now she is just gone, and I wasn’t even there.