Chapter 21

It’s a day before Sam’s birthday and I have finally found a fudgy chocolate brownie cake recipe that I know he would die for and can’t wait to surprise him. I am so excited, I just can’t hide it… I hum to myself as I put the recipe at my work station to take it at home with me tonight. I’m baking the cake tonight so it will be fresh for tomorrow.

“Peter, I don’t know what gift I should get Sam, I mean what do you get someone who has everything?” I ask feeling a bit down now that I think about the gift. “Well, Em you are asking the wrong person. Cause I also don’t know what to get him. I mean it’s hard to buy rich people gifts.’ Peter sounds just as down about the gift as I do.

“I got it, and I hope he won’t think it is silly…” I say feeling proud of myself for thinking about a gift and not even using google to help me. I really suck at buying gifts. “Tell me, please I need ideas tooo!” Peter begged.

“I’m going to buy him a nice expensive real sheep wool double blanket and embroider his initials and birthday on it.” I say really proud and now exited.

“Wow Em, that is one awesome gift, and I don’t think anyone would be able to top it. Now help me to buy a gift too.” Peter begs, “ I tell you what, we go half, half on this gift so that it comes from us both and you don’t have to figure out what to buy him and don’t keep begging me to help you.” I say and his smile almost reached around his face as we both laugh.
Ok gift, check. Cake? Pending!

“Hey Emily, this is my nephew Danny.” Neil says as he stands at the counter before ordering. “Hi, Danny aren’t you supposed to be in school?” I ask jokingly. “Hallo Ma’am, and I’m here for granddads birthday. I hear you are making him a surprise cake? And Uncle Neil says you make the best brownies in the world. May I have one, I need to see if he tells the truth because my grandmother makes the best.” Danny says.
I laugh while I give him a fresh one out of the oven and I even laugh more when I see his eyes almost jump out. I don’t want to brag but I think he just realised mine might be better than his grandmothers. “Wow, ma’am this is surely the best brownies in the world, but don’t tell Granma I said so,” Dannie said as he finished it all.

“So what else can I get you guys today?” I ask Neil with a smile. It felt like weeks since I saw him and I know I have been busy with AJ, but I kind of missed him too. “Two of the pepper steak homemade pies please.” Neil said with a smile.

Just then AJ walked in and around the counter to kiss me hallo. “Hey Baby.” He said and looked at Neil. “Hi Neil, Danny.” He said to them I can’t quite make out if the tone he is using is hopeful or just polite.
“AJ.” Neil said and turned to me. “We got to go, see you.” And he walked out without taking the pies. “AJ, are you starting with your nonsense again?” I asked and he just laughed…. Oh that’s just peachy!

****
Neil PVO

Walking back to my office I start talking to myself out loud as if I am actually talking to Danny. Danny is my 7 year old nephew and we are interpretable when he visits.

“AJ is always in the way when I want to talk to her, I mean yeah he is her boyfriend. But this is all too much, he doesn’t belong here. I’m just crazy talking about this stuff, but I mean seriously he always suck up to her when I’m there and I know I have a girlfriend…. I have a girlfriend…” I say as Danny interrupts me.

“Uncle Neil, stop please can we take the lift now, we have been climbing the stares for 10 stories now and my legs can’t handle it anymore.” Danny says out of breath. “Ooh shoot, sorry Danny, let’s take the lift. And then you can go buy us something at the cafeteria to eat, I know it’s not as nice but at least it’s something. Here take my wallet and I will meet you back at my office.” I said to Danny as I continue climbing the stairs and he walks off to do what I told.

I am crazy aren’t I? I mean how can I feel about a girl another woman like this when I have a girlfriend? Crazy I tell you and now AJ once again came into the picture and I can’t help but be angry at that idiot.