Chapter 9

“Emily, I’m so glad you finally stood up to your boss about Suney. BUT, quitting! Come on your not a quitter!” my friend Zjizell rants over the phone.

“I know I’m not a quitter but this is enough and I had no more room in growing in that company any way, it’s time for a change. I just don’t know what change yet.” I said shrugging my shoulders even though she can’t see it. Then it hit me when I looked over to my fridge seeing the coffee deli magnet on my fridge.

“Coffee Deli! Zell I own the coffee deli now remember! Yes I can do this I can really do this! It’s a new adventure and challenge! Time to start packing! The new adventure awaits!” I said all exited. Poor Zell couldn’t get a word in as I went on all exited and before I knew I dropped the call and started packing.

Half way through packing my phone started to ring, I didn’t even look at the caller ID is just answered. “Emily, speaking” I said in a chirpy voice. “Miss Carter, its Mr Hanne speaking.” A confused voice sounded. I stood still trying to gather my thoughts. “Uhmm, Mr Hanne how can I be of help?” I said matching his confused voice.

“Miss Carter, I have received your email, and am highly disappointed that you will not be attending to my financial matters. After speaking to Mr Ridley he assured me that Suney would be the next best candidate as that was the plan from the beginning. Well I just can’t let that loose woman handle my finances. Is there no possible way I can convince you to stay with Financial Analysis?” he said in a demanding but kind of begging voice.

“Mr Hanne, it has been a great privilege to have worked with you, but unfortunately I can’t go back to Finance Analysis.” I said wanting to tell him why I left but I am a professional person and cant bad mouth my ex- company nor my ex- co –workers.
“I understand, well then I hope you will consider my next offer. I want you to come and work for Hanne Inc. as head of my Finances.” He said proud of his offer. And believe me it was an offer I couldn’t resist but I had to I already made my commitment to the coffee deli and Spencer.

“Mr Hanna, thank you so much for your irresistible offer, it’s really a dream come true, but unfortunately I have to decline as I am now a new business woman.” I said “Then I believe congratulations are in order. But as you have come to know me in the past month or so you must know I always have a plan C if my A & B doesn’t succeed. So I will give this contract to Finance Analysis, BUT I want you to oversee everything and advise me without them knowing and I will pay you for your time and advice.” He said as a last resort for me to help him. Darn this man really doesn’t trust suney I actually don’t blame him.

“Let me see if we are on the same page… you want me to be a secret finance advisor to you over the company who handles it and you want me to work for you but not on a daily basis just when you need me?” I said smirking and thinking it all through. “Yes, please Emily I haven’t come across a financial advisor like you in a decade and I believe in you and trust you please consider my offer. And I will pay you good money.”

At first I was shocked that he went on first name basis but I realised by using my first name he was desperate and begging in a between the lines way. How could I say no and the extra cash will always be handy. “Mr Hanne, it will be a great honour working with you, and I will accept on one condition ok that you will pay me the same rate as an intern and then we have a deal.” The line was quite. Wait did I ask for too much money?

“Mr Hanne are you still there?” I asked feeling embarrassed that I asked for money that might be above my paygrade as his interns are the best of the best and could receive a lot of salary that’s maybe more than I earned at Finance Analysis.

“Miss Carter, I’m still here sorry, I just gave all my interns a raise as you just accepted my proposed job offer. And because the only condition was a poor salary of an intern I accepted. So I just authorised all interns a salary increase so that you don’t get paid peanuts. I will sign the contract with Suney and Rudy this afternoon at 5 like we planned so can we set up a meeting for Monday the 22nd let’s say about 1pm. We can meet at this shop called Coffee lovers Deli. It’s a block away from my building.”
“Sure, I will see you then Mr Hanne. All the best.” Wow!