Chapter 3

My ringtone wakes me up at 4am. “aaghh this better be important” I groaned through the phone as I answer the phone without looking at the caller ID, I mean It is 4 a-freaking-m. “Uum hi is this miss, Carter?” the voice of a woman rings through the phone. “yes, its she.” I say very sleepy.
“miss Carter, you speaking to Dr Collins, I’m phoning in connection with miss Malherbe, she was in a car accident and you are listed as her next of kin, is it possible if you can come down to the hospital?” the Dr says calmly but the urgency in her voice was clear.
“yes, sure, right away…wait what hospital?” I asked now awake and alarmed. “Kingsway Hospital. We are on the 4th floor in CCU” I froze when I hear the CCU that is not good! Critical Care Unit is not a good sign! I jump up and grab some yoga pants and a sweat shirt and jump into the nearest shoes. I end the call and rushed to the hospital.
Arriving at the hospital they didn’t want me to see my cousin Spencer Malherbe. She is my Mothers sisters daughter we are only one year difference Spencer being the older one. We haven’t seen each other in months as she has been so busy with her new business and I with my job more than usual since Mac. When Dr Collins explained to me that the damages done can result into brain dead she said whatever way we be it surgery or not she will be brain dead, chances be that if the surgery succeeds and they can stop the aneurisms in the brain there is a 0.95% that she will not be brain dead, but the decision needs to be taken now. The weight of the world weighed on my shoulders… why did she make me her next of kin, yes we were like sisters as we both didn’t have any siblings but how can I make this decision without her parents they need to know.
I phoned aunty Evelin and Uncle Grant and quickly told them everything that happened from the accident to the next in kin and then the prognosis and asked them to make the decision. They were so shocked and the line dropped… what am I going to do? I look at Dr Collins who stares at me knowing that I am in a self battle and don’t know what to do…”Dr Collins if this was your daughter/cousin or even friend what would you have done out of a normal prospective and not of a Dr prospective?” I ask as last resort to help me make my decision.
She looks at me with humble and understanding eyes, sits me down and took my hands in hers…”off the record? (meaning that I cant held her accountable for the advice she will give me. I nod) I will take my chances with the surgery, because little hope is better than no hope and I would see it as this could be the 0.95% case and even if she didn’t make it, I knew that I did everything to try and bring her back, and I would never wonder that what if…” she says with so much hope in her eyes.
After a while which felt like hours of silence, “Surgery.” Is all I could say then grab the Dr Hands “Dr I trust you to do more than your best. Thank you.” I say with hope in my voice and eyes. “Can I see her before you take her?” I had to ask. I had to see her just in case. “Unfortunately I have to get her to the OR now” she says apologetically. I nodded in understanding.

As they wheel Spencer down the hall I caught a glimpse and had to run to her side I could help myself, I grabbed unto her hand and shouter you have to be strong and come back to us… please Spence we need you we love you!!!” I shouted as I cried, as the OR doors opened the security and other nurses had to pull me away so that the Dr’s can do their work.
I sat in the waiting area probably for 10min when aunty Evelin and Uncle Grant runs in. they grabbed me and we all started crying from the beginning again. I told them what the Dr said off record and that I chose surgery. They said I made the right choice as they would have done the same and if the places was swapped between Spence and I she would have done the same, because little hope is better than no hope.
Now we just have to hope and wait….