ten

Devlyn Tevere

"So what's the plan?" I ask Roman, genuinely interested.

"Break Nicole out." He bluntly responds, keeping his eyes trained on the road ahead of us, and his hands steady in the steering wheel.

"You don't say." I roll my eyes. "Like what's the actual plan? We can't just go in there and attack the guards, that's a suicidal move. And why didn't you bring backup?"

"We're breaking your sister out of jail, not starting a war with America. We don't need backup." Roman looks at me like I'm stupid before looking back to the road.

"By backup, I don't mean an army of mummies, I'm not stupid. I'm talking about Leo and I don't know, your sister?"

"Savs has gone out, blowing cash off my card on pointless shit and Leo's gone to get your other sister, Tess." Roman explains.

"The two of us alone should be fine, or are you second guessing yourself?" Roman jokes.

"Never." I narrow my eyes at him.

"Good, we should be just dandy then."

"Nice." I reply and turn on the radio, hoping that something nice is actually on this bitch for once.

"No! Do don't turn the radio on. The music in there hurts my fucking ears, just use my phone." Roman stops me before I can turn the volume up.

He reaches into his pocket before pulling out an iPhone 7plus.

He hands me the phone after unlocking it with his finger scan.

"I'm going to trust that you have good taste in music, but I better not hear anything country or I will throw the phone out of the car." Roman warns me.

"That's a little... extreme." I eye him in annoyance before mentally scoffing.

Talk about overreacting.

I search a few songs up and create a playlist of about an hour before pressing play.

Collard greens- SchoolboyQ ft Kendrick Lamar comes on first and I see Roman look at me in admiration through the corner of my eyes.

"I love this song." He states.

"Me too." I agree before leaning back into the leather seat, thankful that the seat warmers are on.

...

"I swear to god, all you do is sleep. Wake up!" Roman's voice hisses into my ear, waking me up from my peaceful nap.

"You're such a snake, hissing in my ear and shit!" I seethe the before tiredly opening my eyes to see Roman standing outside my side of the car.

"One hour! It was a one hour drive and you couldn't stay awake, seriously?"

"Very seriously." I nod before I reach for a water bottle lying on the dashboard

I unscrew the cap and take a long sip from it, satisfying my parched throat.

"I drank from that." Roman states matter-of-factly.