twenty-five

Devlyn Tevere

When she was still alive, my mum used to say that when you have your heart broken, you can try to fix it but some pieces will always be damaged, beyond repair.

I never believed that.

So when my heart broke because my dad had my fiancé brutally murdered, I stitched the pieces back together.

It wasn't the same as before, it would never be.

But it still worked, it still kept me alive.

That's how life has been for me since Damien was snatched away from me.

It wasn't the same as before, but it still kept me alive, it worked even though I didn't like it.

From the day that I met Roman, I felt something I hadn't felt in years- emotion.

When I'm around him, I feel alive. I no longer feel like a living, breathing corpse.

Life feels like what it did before Damien was killed.

I'm no longer the cold-hearted, emotionless Ambrosia I used to be.

I'm the Devlyn that was born 24 years ago, filled with emotions and desires.

He makes me feel wanted, in a world filled with billions of women, he chose me.

He chose to love me, to care for me, everything he did, it was for me.

He even took a bullet for me.

So now, as I look down at his still body laying in bed with wires and tubes connected to him, all I feel is regret.

Regret that I was a bitch to him, regret that I rejected him, regret for every good time we could have had but didn't, simply because I was petty.

I wipe my teary eyes with a tissue and then chuck it across the room into the trashcan, aka me.

The door to the room opens and Roman's doctor, Duncan, walks in holding a clipboard.

"I just need to check up on him." He assures me and starts checking everything.

I nod and get off my chair, standing to the side as I wait for him to finish up.

Once Duncan's done, he looks at me and gives me a small smile.

"How is he?" I ask hesitantly, nervous about what the answer will be.

"It's a fucking miracle that he's still alive," "It's hard to tell if he'll be okay, his condition is still very critical. But he can breathe on his own now. If he wakes up, you press the button to call me over straight away, yeah?"

I nod to him and he gives me another brief smile before leaving the room.

I sit down in my chair again and slip my hand onto Roman's cold one.

I rub the top of it with my thumb and absentmindedly speak to him, even though he's not listening.

"Please wake up," I start, my voice raw.