fifteen

Devlyn Tevere

I wake up with the stiffest body I've ever had.

Pain fills every inch of me and I feel like I've been beaten with a baseball bat for hours on end.

I can feel a cold, hard surface that I recognize as a concrete floor, beneath my sore body.

A loud groan escapes my mouth and I struggle to push myself up.

That's when I realize that I can't, because I've been tied.

My hands are tied behind my back, beneath my body, and my feet are tied together too.

Fucks sake.

I roll myself over so that I'm now lying on my stomach and I reach into my back pocket for the pocket knife I always keep there.

Once I have it within my grip. I open it from being folded in half and start doing my work on the ties binding my wrists together.

Once I've cut them enough to rip them apart, I abandon my knife and tear the ropes apart.

I wiggle my fingers around, along with my wrists to get some feeling back into them.

Then I sit up and undo the rope binding my feet together.

"Neat trick." A familiar voice remarks from behind me.

I hold a hand over my heart and turn around to see Leonardo who is tied to a chair.

He looks done with absolutely everything right now.

"Thanks, I know." I reply bluntly before shoving my knife back into my pocket.

"Untie me?" Leo asks.

"Give me a reason why I should." I roll my eyes.

"Keep rolling your eyes like that, maybe someday you'll find a brain back there." He mimics me, trying to make his voice sound like mine.

"You sound like a parrot, keep talking." I speak and watch him, amused.

"That's an insult to yourself."

"I don't care, at least I can make fun of myself. Besides, was I asking you?" I push myself up and start looking around the room.

A door is in the very corner of the room and I make my way to it, jiggling the handle.

It's locked.

I look around for windows but the only one I see is high up, right underneath the ceiling.

It has metal bars over it and no glass.

Leaves and sticks that have flown in through the bars on a windy day litter the floor and the mess in here makes my inner OCD want to have a seizure.

"Untie me, please." Leo interrupts me.

"Will you shut up if I do?" I ask.