thirty-one

Devlyn Tevere

I feel a sloppy and wet object lick my face, waking me up.

I slowly open my eyes and look up to see Dagger staring down at me with his tongue hanging out of his mouth.

"Hey, baby." I smile and reach up to softly touch him.

I continue to pet him for about a minute, then I notice that the space next to me is empty and Roman's not in bed.

I quickly push myself up, slightly anxious about his whereabouts.

I get out of bed and step into slippers before I start looking for him.

I notice that he's not in the bathroom, so he might be downstairs.

I walk downstairs after brushing my teeth and washing my face, still half asleep, and head to the kitchen where I find Roman drinking from a cup of milk, accompanied by Harley.

I lightly sigh in relief when I see him.

They both seem to be heatedly arguing about something and they haven't noticed me yet, so I listen to them.

"What the fuck do you mean you kidnapped her?" Harley snaps, fuming.

"I mean exactly that!" Roman hisses back and places his now empty cup into the dishwasher and slams the door to it shut.

"So you kidnapped her and now you're... dating her?" Harley asks skeptically.

"For the hundredth time, yes." Roman answers bluntly.

"You're both crazy as fuck! A match made in heaven- oh, there you are!" Harley says, finally noticing my presence.

"Hey to you too." I greet her and walk further into the kitchen and lean against the counter.

"Please tell me that he was shitting me." Harley hopefully tells me, crossing her arms.

"It's true." I nonchalantly shrug.

"Stockholm syndrome at it's finest. Y'all, I'm fucking out." She exaggerates and then leaves.

I roll my eyes at her childishness and turn to face Roman with a smile.

"Good morning princess." He smiles back and walks closer, greeting me with a light kiss.

"Morning." I reply, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"You don't look too good." Roman observes.

Ouch.

"Thanks." I answer, refusing to look him in the eye.

He quickly realizes his mistake and apologizes.

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that! I'm just saying, you look like you're sick."

"How does a sick person look?" I ask, scrunching my face up in confusion.

"You're pale, you have dark circles, and you sound sick too." Roman answers.

"I'm fine." I shrug.