twenty

Devlyn Tevere

I hold the bouquet of roses in my hand, my grip tight and sweaty.

My heart is beating so fast and I feel like I might vomit from anxiety.

I'm staring down at the flowers as I make my way upstairs when I notice that they're fake.

They're fake roses, dipped in real gold, a whole bouquet of them.

They're beautiful, I've never been so fucking touched before.

A note is attached and I take it out and unfold it, reading it.

Devlyn,
Real flowers wilt, they die.
So here's some fake roses that will never wilt, turn dry and crumble, never die.
Just like my love for you.
I love you Devlyn, and I'm sorry about what happened earlier, I should've just let you make your decision and not told you to think over it.
Happy birthday princess.
I'm not going to tell you to have a great one because you obviously haven't/won't, but I hope the roses make you feel better.
-Roman

For some reason, halfway through the short note, a tear manages to snake it's way down my face.

I wipe it off me angrily.

This isn't you, Devlyn. You don't cry, you fucking can't. You don't have feelings, act like it.

I knock lightly on the door to Roman and I's room and hesitantly open it when I don't get a response.

I walk in and look towards the king bed where Roman is sitting, staring blankly at his laptop screen.

I can't tell what mood he's in, he just looks so... neutral.

I take in a slight breath and decide to speak.

"Thank you, for the roses. I love them," I start. "And thank you for bringing me back, I'm honestly not even worth spending five million dollars o-"

"Yeah, you're really not." He cuts me off, looking at me with his jaw clenched.

I blink at him and sigh quietly before speaking again.

"Please just let me ex-"

"Get out, Devlyn." He cuts me off yet again, his face filled with fury.

He won't even let me talk, for fucks sake.

I take in a deep breath, and shut my eyes, trying to keep calm.