thirty-eight

Devlyn Tevere

I blink to see if I'm seeing things. How can this be? Damien is dead, I watched him die as a result of my fathers hatred towards me. Nah, this is some 'the originals' type shit, with people coming back to life. 

I eye Damien skeptically from where I'm sitting on top of him and a thought occurs to me. I grab his arm, pull down his sleeve and search his forearm for a tattoo of the number '1993', my birth year. 

Damien had gotten it when we got engaged. It's there. I drop his arm in shock, get off him and pull him into a tight embrace. I let myself go as I cry into his chest, cherishing the moment.

"I thought you were dead." I say. My voice breaks and I let out a small sob. For three years, I've tried to move on from someone I loved so deeply, someone I thought was dead. Someone I was going to marry. Now when I've finally found happiness in Roman, I find out he's still alive?

"How are you here?" I whisper. 

My voice comes out small and vulnerable. All these emotions that I've kept buried for so long seem to come unravelled. 

"I told you, I was going to explain, Devlyn. We need to leave now. Before Roman comes." He urges desperately, rubbing my back softly.

"Why does it matter if he comes?" I question. 

I let go of him to wipe my eyes with my sleeve. 

"Because John's going to kill both of us if Roman sees me." 

"But John's dead." I confusedly say. 

Damien stares at me blankly. I'm guessing he didn't know I killed John. 

"Yeah, I killed him today. He came after me, again. Why was he going to kill you though?" I ask. 

"Ohh." Damien sighs in relief and runs a hand through his hair. 

"I have a lot of explaining to do. If John's dead, you don't mind doing this inside? I'm kind of cold and injured." He gestures to his bleeding face, thanks to me and I cringe at myself.

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea." I apologise and help him up. 

I lead him inside and sit him down on one of the barstools. Roman isn't down here but I can hear his footsteps coming down the stairs. 

I know he won't be mad about this, since we're getting married and all and he trusts me. I just don't know how he's going to take this, you know, my ex-fiance being back from the dead and all.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I still want to marry Roman. I mean I do, but is it the best thing to do? shouldn't I spend some time with Damien? I mean we technically didn't break up, I thought he died. I really just had to propose to Roman tonight. I always have the best fucking timing. 

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Who do you go to for advice when your ex-fiance who you thought your dad had killed, comes back from the dead and you've got another lover?

My thoughts are cut off when I feel Roman's presence in the room. Damien and I turn around to face him. He stares at Damien, surprised.