twenty-two

Devlyn Tevere

At around 2pm, we got back home with Ellison.

We ended up holding a few guards hostage to attract attention away from where Ellison was being held.

Then, Nicole and Daniel went and got Ellison out of where she was being held.

Everybody got home safely and in a cheerful mood without a single scratch on them.

Currently, we're all sitting in the theatre, binge watching horror movies.

Everyone is either lying down or sitting with a bowl of popcorn, staring intently at the screen.

About half an hour through the movie, I get a weird feeling inside me, like something's off.

I shake it off and continue watching the movie, pulling a blanket over my cold legs.

Suddenly, a loud scream pierces the air, followed by a loud bang- like that of a gun being fired.

I push myself up, gasping.

The sounds didn't come from the tv, something's wrong.

I cast Roman a confused look and he's looking at me with the same expression, which tells me that he's got no idea about what's happening.

I decide to go see for myself and push myself off of the sofa, walking to the door.

I open the door as silently as I can and peek out slightly through the small gap.

Everything seems normal.

Until at the very end of the hallway, a body collapses and hits the floor.

I watch in shock as blood seeps through their bullet wound and onto the spotless, white tiles.

Then, a group of men start marching down the corridor, carrying guns.

Quickly, I shut the door and lean against it, sighing loudly.

Can't I spend a fucking day in peace without being attacked?

Everyone is looking at me with questioning looks covering their faces.

I speak as quietly as I possibly can; "there's people here, and we're not friendly with them."

"Fucking hell." Roman mutters and walks over to the corner of the room.

He pushes an unoccupied sofa aside and beneath it is a small compartment built into the floor.

He punches a code into the front of it and then opens it, pulling out a bunch of guns.

He tosses one at everyone in the room and takes one for himself before pushing the sofa back over the gun compartment.

He looks at me, then at the door, signaling me to open it.

I do so as quietly and carefully as I can, stepping aside to let everyone out.