thirty

Devlyn Tevere

"Do you have weed?" Roman asks as he collapses onto my bed, next to me.

We decided on spending the night here, since we can't be bothered driving back.

"Yeah I'll be back." I reply and push myself out of bed with my eyes half shut.

I'm so tired, I can't explain it.

I head up to the second floor with sore legs and get everything I need before I head back downstairs to my room.

I give it all to Roman and lay down with my head on his lap.

He smiles slightly before he starts working on rolling a joint.

This is such a casual moment, but it feels so nice.

I feel blessed to finally have someone in my life who cares about me and wants me just as much as I do them, someone who accepts me and my flaws, someone who loves me even on my shitty days.

I appreciate Roman, truly.

I've almost fallen asleep when I inhale a bunch of smoke.

I cough slightly and open my eyes once more.

"Shit I'm sorry, don't you smoke? I'll put it away." Roman frantically starts putting everything away.

"Nah, I do. I was just nearly asleep." I put my hand on Roman's arm to stop him.

"Well then, here." Roman offers me the blunt with a smile.

"No thanks, I don't smoke from a joint rolled by someone else, it's bad luck." I answer, trying to not sound rude.

"Suit yourself." He shrugs, my bluntness not affecting him.

I close my eyes again when I'm interrupted by Roman's voice.

"Baby, stay awake."

"Why?" I ask, my eyes still shut.

"I want to talk to you." Roman replies sincerely.

I open my eyes and look up at him.

He looks so genuine, like he just wants to talk about anything, and everything.

So I sit up and sit next to him.

"Talk about what?" I finally ask.

Roman looks at me, contemplating something in his head.

"...about my past, I know all about you. You know nothing about me. If we're going to be together, I want us to know everything about each other."

"You can tell me anything you want," I start, squeezing his hand softly.

"But I don't want you to feel like you have to tell me anything, you don't." I finish, giving Roman a smile afterwards.

"I know, but I want to." He replies and lightly kisses my lips before pulling away.

He makes himself comfortable, putting his head on my lap in the process and then looks up at me.

I run my fingers through his soft hair, waiting for him to speak.

He sighs contentedly as I do so and speaks.

"I was five when I saw my dad kill someone, you can only imagine what would've gone through my head seeing the light leave someone's eyes at such a young age. I ran away from home, not far. I ran away to this park and went back later at night. No one even noticed I was gone," Roman pauses to take another hit from his blunt before continuing.

"I never knew my mum, she died giving birth to me. My dad, to be frank, didn't give a shit about me. He was careless. He gave me whatever I wanted except for one thing money couldn't get me- his attention. I just wanted attention so bad, I wanted someone to love me. Anyway, weeks after I turned eighteen, my dad got into his car and it blew up. Someone put a bomb in it. I don't have much of a history but I inherited my dad's money, and his business too. I can't escape it. You can't leave once you're in it,"

"I know," I softly start. "I've tried to."

"What happened?" Roman questions.

"That's a story for another time, keep going." I answer and continue playing with his hair.

"And that's it. As I said before, I don't have a deep past like you. I just lived an empty life with Savannah until one day, I was on my way home and I saw you at the same coffee shop we officially met at. And I just, wanted to know more about you. And then before I knew it, i fucking kidnapped you. And I'm so sorry that I did. But I can say without a doubt, it's the best thing I ever did." He finishes.

"I can say without a doubt that it's the best thing someone's ever done to me." I smile down at him.

"I love you so much," Roman breathes, reaching up to caress my face.

I open my mouth to reply but he cuts me off.

"You don't have to say it back, I just want you to know that I love you. And you're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"So are you." I answer.

And I mean it.