thirty-six

Devlyn Tevere

I wake up when I feel a heavy weight on my stomach. I glance down to see Roman's muscly arm thrown protectively across my body and I smile to myself before slowly lifting it off, being careful not to wake him.

I get out of bed and check the time on my phone; 8:30. I woke up so early, I don't even feel like going back to sleep. Even though I had a late night, I'm not tired. I sigh and tie my hair into a bun. I walk into the bathroom and brush my teeth, then quickly wash my face and head downstairs to eat.

Harley is sitting at the kitchen table already and I mess up her straight blonde hair when I walk past her as a greeting. She scowls at me playfully before offering me her cup of her milo. I smile as I take it from her and bring it to my lips.

"Morning," I say after I've downed the rest of the heavenly liquid.

"Morning." she answers. She eyes my face, trying to figure something out before speaking again.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" she wonders. "You look tired."

"Not really." I admit.

I told Harley about my doctors appointment last night and she stayed up until 6am with me, talking, watching movies and eating junk. We discussed what would happen when I wanted kids and she told me if there was any way she could help me when the time came, she'd do it in a heartbeat.

I appreciate her so much, how many people have friends who would offer to carry their child for them? Or donate an egg?

"Do you want to go out today? Get food, watch a movie or something?" Harley questions.

I consider the offer for a second then nod. "Yeah, that sounds good."

"Perfect, let's get ready and we can leave at around 12?" She responds hopefully.

"Yeah, sweet."

To be honest, I don't feel like going out today. I have a weird feeling, just my gut telling me to stay home but I push the thought away. I haven't properly hung out with Harley in so long, I owe this to her.

After talking for another few minutes, we both head upstairs to get ready. I take a hot shower and shave my body before I get out, moisturise and start beating my face.

I keep it simple because I really can't be bothered trying too much. Once I've finished, I pick out an adequate outfit and a bag to go with it. I put a small gun, knife, hand sanitiser, gum and tampons into the bag. You know, just the essentials.

 You know, just the essentials