CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE.

(Eric's Pov)

"Are we ready to go?" 

"Yes." The three of them chorused in reply, all sounding glum and tired.

"Off we go then." I muttered under my breath, pulling out of the driveway. I ran a free hand through my hair, the other stirring the wheel.

It was 8:30 AM, today was the children's first day at school. And coincidentally, it was Lea's first day at work. I offered to drop them off since I was on my way to work. Plus, they all looked so drained out and not ready for it.

It was the least I could do.

"Thanks for doing this again." Lea's soft voice soothed my ears. I cocked my head to face her, an usual feeling happening to my stomach.

"It's no problem." I told her, yawning afterwards. Honestly, I could say I matched how they felt. I didn't receive much sleep last night. Janice was getting on my nerves, trying to play the role of the victim when complaining about how much we had 'drifted apart'.

I didn't get much sleep, her words annoying me to a point I simply couldn't take it and went against my words. I picked up my pillow and slept on the couch in our room. Eventually, she scoffed and shut the fuck up. But after that, my mind wouldn't switch off.

Her arguments and points would always revolve around one person. No other than, Lea. She complained to me, pitied herself as she said Lea was back again and determined to take me from her life.

I scoffed at her words, not bothering to answer. I'd only repeat my words, which I said too often. I was sick of Janice. Of how she behaving. She was on burning on the verge of my last nerve. It was only a matter of time before I'd snap completely.

When I did get worked up from her words...I'd find myself thinking back to one person who had the power to do both; trigger, yet calm me. Lea. The woman who sat inches away from me in the seat beside. The mother to my children. The...the love of my life.

Yet, she wasn't mine.

And the hole in my heart which was still empty...ached for her.

My eyes betrayed me, darting to look at her. She was beautiful, her short curly hair reaching her shoulders, her blue orbs locked on the phone in her hands and her brows furrowed in concentration. Small hoop earrings hung from her ears, outlining her angelic face.

My stomach clenched in pain. The hurt and betrayal I felt from her, had fallen faint. As days went by, the more it melted away. I had heard her reasons, her explanations - but a part of me believed there was more to it.

A part of me grew frustrated and angered - what was the reason she kept it all secret? And why did she seem so unsure and...afraid to share it? 

Absentmindedly, my hands clenched on the steering wheel, getting worked up from thinking about it.

"Eric," Her soft voice called. I slowly released the wheel, glancing at her briefly. Her gentle, welcoming blue orbs...calmed me. I let out a deep breath, licking my lips.

As I said before; she had the power to both trigger and calm me.

"Are you okay?" Concern and worry evident in her tone. I slowly nodded, flashing her a small smile. Her eyes softened and she returned the gesture. 

It were moments like this, I was reminded of her caring self. And once again, I found myself thinking back to the day she took care of me when I was sick. She took it upon herself to care for me - not even bothered by the fact she could catch what I had.