Red

"Good morning, babe. You're up early again," RJ greeted as he walked out of the room and found Dei sitting on the window seat in their living room. She was looking at the snowy grounds outside with a big cup of coffee in her hands and a wistful look in her eyes. "I miss waking up and being able to hug you first thing in the morning."

Dei gave a soft laugh as she turned her gaze at him. "I think my body system got used to it. I woke up at 5:30 and simply couldn't stay in bed anymore. Come here please, I need that hug too," she said, patting the space beside her.

RJ sat on it and pulled her to his lap, then he hugged her as she rested her head on the crook of his neck. They sat like that for a few minutes. It was the Sunday before Christmas, and after the hectic week that they had, they were happy to just spend the whole morning relaxing.

"What were you looking at outside, you seemed sad," he asked her softly after a few minutes.

"I wasn't sad. Well not really... I just miss home," she whispered. "I miss my family. This will be my first Christmas away from them."

RJ sighed. "Babe... Don't worry, next year I promise we will either go back there for a vacation or we'll have them fly over here to spend Christmas with us," he said. "Please don't be sad, you're making me feel guilty."

"Guilty? Why?" she asked, looking at him.

"Well, I was the one who dragged you here to be with me, right?" he said.

Dei laughed again. "You didn't drag me here, babe. I came here willingly because I wanted to be with you. I'm just trying to adjust, but I don't regret coming here to live with you."

A shrill laughter rang from the grounds outside and Dei leaned back and peeked at the window once more.

"There they are again. I was watching them early this morning. They look so cute," Dei said, smiling as she got off RJ's lap and positioned herself closer to the window pane.

RJ turned and looked out too. There on the grounds was a family of three playing in the snow. The young father was making their toddler son sit on a tiny sled and letting him slide down a small pile of snow, and the little boy was shrieking with glee. The young mother was laughing as she took pictures of the two. The toddler's laughter was so infectious that Dei couldn't help the wide grin that had spread on her face. She glanced at RJ and he was looking at the family with a yearning smile too.

"I can imagine you being like that father, maybe even better," she told him.

RJ just let out a forced chuckle, his eyes fixed on the happy trio on the grounds.

Dei reached out and touched his face. "Soon, babe..." she said.

RJ looked at her and gave her a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Don't pressure yourself, Dei. I don't think much about that now. I'm okay like this. Just you and I for now," he said, pulling her on his lap again. "What are we having for breakfast?" he asked, changing the topic.

"I prepared some pancakes and sausages," she answered. "Do you want some of my coffee?" she asked, lifting the cup of coffee to his lips.

He took a small sip and coughed. Dei always liked her coffee dark and strong. "I think I'll get my own," he said and Dei laughed.

"When are we driving to North Bellmore?" Dei asked as they sat to eat breakfast.

"The 24th. Let's drive straight there after the TrendBuzz Christmas Ball. You're working half day on Thursday, right?" he asked.