Daddy's Girl

"Go to sleep now, baby," Dei said. She gently placed the book she had been reading to Athena on the bedside table and pulled the blanket over her little body.

Athena shook her head, still hiccuping from too much crying earlier. Dei looked at her face and saw how sad she still was. She heaved a deep sigh, feeling sorry for her daughter.

Athena had had a bad day all day, which didn't usually happen, but Dei guessed it was due to teething again. She had been fussy, and grumpy, and so upset that her requests weren't being granted. RJ's outburst capped Athena's worst day of the year though, and Dei closed her eyes and breathed slowly to keep herself from harboring any more angry feelings towards her husband.

She could actually understand RJ's frustration. His stress level these past few days because of the deadlines was just too much, and he was tired and probably very sleepy. Still he should know not to shout at Athena. It wasn't her fault he had not been saving his work. She was a toddler, she was bound to get too curious. He had gotten so used to treating and talking to Athena like an adult, because that's what they wanted to practice, that he'd forgotten she was actually just a kid too that didn't know any better.

"Wew's daddy, mommy?" Athena asked.

Dei sighed, once again feeling frustrated at RJ. She really wished he'd start learning to face problems properly instead of walking out and driving out each time he got so mad.

"He just went out to get something, princess," she whispered, kissing her forehead. She didn't know what time he'd be back. It usually took him a few hours to clear his head.

"Daddy's vewy angwy," Athena said, her lips trembling again. "Teena's scawed."

"Don't be, princess. Daddy just got angry because you didn't listen to him. He told you not to touch his computer, right?"

Athena nodded sadly.

"Next time, when mommy or daddy, or even grammy and grampy, tells you not to do something, you have to listen okay?"

She nodded again.

"Daddy's so tired. He has been working on what's on his computer for many hours. Sometimes when people are tired they could get really angry, but that doesn't mean daddy no longer loves you," Dei whispered to her again, and then sighed. "Daddy loves you so much and that's why he had to leave so you won't see him angry anymore. He doesn't want you to be scared."

Athena nodded again, her tiny hands playing with the hem of the blanket. She was still crying silently and it was breaking Dei's heart. She wasn't sure if Athena could understand every bit of what she was saying, but she knew that the little one was smart enough to figure it out.

"Go to sleep now, princess, when you wake up daddy would be back. Just tell him you're sorry so he won't be angry anymore, alright?"

Athena's lips shook again but she nodded.

"Teena wants sleep heew," she whispered.

"Of course. You'll sleep beside mommy," Dei whispered, kissing her nose. "Good night, princess."

"G'night mommy."

"I love you."

"Wuv you."

Dei laid on her side and faced Athena as the little one tried to sleep. She gently ran her hand up and down her back while softly singing a song. Athena was still hiccuping, her eyelids moving, and Dei could see her lips moving like she was about to cry again, but after a few minutes, she finally fell asleep.