Desperate

"RJ, I'm sorry, I don't know who else to call anymore," Kayla cried. "You're the only one I know who knows Tim... and I need to talk to him, RJ... I've been.. I've been trying to reach him but he's not returning my calls." She was talking fast, even through her stuttered breathing, and RJ was having a hard time understanding her.

"Kayla, slow down. Breathe deeply and calm down," he said as he propped his hand against the wall. She sounded so distressed and on the verge of panic and it was stressing him out too. "Did you say you were trying to reach Tim?"

"Yes! I've been trying to for a few days now. But he's been ignoring my calls. I desperately need to talk to him," she sobbed.

"Kayla, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be calling me," RJ said. "Tim is a player and if this is another problem about your love life, I can't help you. I'm married now and my wife is pregnant. I don't want this to cause her unnecessary stress."

"Please RJ, you're the only one I know who can help me --"

"Kayla, no --."

"RJ, I'm desperate!" she cried out. "I need to talk to Tim. I know he's ignoring me because he wants me to feel exactly what he felt when I was the one avoiding his calls. But I need him now, RJ... and he has to know that our baby needs him too."

"Wait, what?" RJ asked, surprised.

"I have a two month old baby and Tim's the father," Kayla said, still crying. "He has to know that, because our baby is so sick he needs blood transfusion as soon as possible. He has a rare blood type and I have to know if Tim has it. We need him, RJ... I'm desperate, please."

"Oh God, Kayla..."

"RJ?" Dei's cold voice behind him made him squeeze his eyes shut and curse under his breath. In his attempt to understand Kayla, he had forgotten that Dei was just outside the room, in the kitchen, and could come in at any moment.

"Dei," he said, turning around to face her.

"Why do you have Kayla on the phone?" she asked, and immediately, her eyes were brimming with tears.

"Kayla I have to go, I will call you back," he said on the phone and hung up. He made careful steps toward Dei with his hands held up in front of him. "Dei, before you start jumping into conclusions I need you to listen to me first okay?" he said forcefully.

"You have one chance to explain, RJ, make sure you use it well," she said, fiercely wiping the angry tears from her eyes.

"Okay. Kayla called because she needs my help--"

"Again? Why? Doesn't she have any family members? Friends? Has your phone number been listed as an emergency number now without my knowledge?"

"Dei, I said listen to me. Please," he said firmly. "I don't know how she got my number. She failed to mention that. But she called me because she needs my help to reach Tim. She has been trying for a few days now but he's been ignoring her. Dei, apparently she's Tim's baby mama and their kid's at the hospital needing his blood for transfusion."

She didn't respond but just stood there looking shocked. She was still crying though, and RJ ran his fingers through his hair before stepping closer and pulling her into a hug.

"Please don't cry, babe," he begged as he ran his hand up and down her back. "If it really upsets you, I'm gonna let it go. I'm not gonna call her back anymore. I'm sure she'd be able to reach Tim eventually, just please --"